MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
MEP Peter Pollák (OĽaNO), the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities, will be augmenting Slovakia's Permanent Crisis Team in association with combating COVID-19. Slovak Prime Minister Igor Matovič (OĽaNO) informed the TASR press agency of the news ahead of Wednesday's cabinet session.
"Along with another person, he will dedicate himself especially to the situation, the predictions and the risks in marginalized Romani communities," Matovič said of Pollák's main role on the team. The PM admitted that the state will have to adopt measures in the Romani settlements to arrange for the kind of standards for personal hygiene that will minimize the risk of infection spreading within those environments and beyond them, without sparking panic or giving the impression that it is essential to use the security forces there.
In an interview for TA3 television, Pollák said the Army is no solution. "Discipline and responsibility are the solution," he said.
"Any potential quarantine is not about ethnicity, if the uncontrollable spread of this infection happens in any particular territory, the approach to it is essentially clear and predetermined irrespective of who is living there," Pollák said during the interview. The Permanent Crisis Team is, according to the Slovak PM, an advisory body to the PM and should formally involve the Secretariat of the Central Crisis Team.
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech law on housing benefit-free zones was an attack on human dignity
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Czech nonprofits welcome abolition of local "housing benefit-free zones", say they made matters worse
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Jaroslav Miko: Czech President shows his arrogance and lack of basic social empathy on the first day of school
- Czech mayors regret abolition of housing benefit-free zones, one alleges the move will "cause extremism"
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister proposes "expropriating" residential hotels after housing benefit-free zones declared unconstitutional
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen welfare eligibility, delaying a vote