MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
MEP Peter Pollák (OĽaNO), the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities, will be augmenting Slovakia's Permanent Crisis Team in association with combating COVID-19. Slovak Prime Minister Igor Matovič (OĽaNO) informed the TASR press agency of the news ahead of Wednesday's cabinet session.
"Along with another person, he will dedicate himself especially to the situation, the predictions and the risks in marginalized Romani communities," Matovič said of Pollák's main role on the team. The PM admitted that the state will have to adopt measures in the Romani settlements to arrange for the kind of standards for personal hygiene that will minimize the risk of infection spreading within those environments and beyond them, without sparking panic or giving the impression that it is essential to use the security forces there.
In an interview for TA3 television, Pollák said the Army is no solution. "Discipline and responsibility are the solution," he said.
"Any potential quarantine is not about ethnicity, if the uncontrollable spread of this infection happens in any particular territory, the approach to it is essentially clear and predetermined irrespective of who is living there," Pollák said during the interview. The Permanent Crisis Team is, according to the Slovak PM, an advisory body to the PM and should formally involve the Secretariat of the Central Crisis Team.
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Slovak Prosecutor: Fascist pandemic is just as dangerous as COVID-19, trial of extreme politician begins tomorrow
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures haven't stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra