romea - logo
January 20, 2017
romano vodi - předplatné
Loading
extended search

Poland: Man who shouted "Kill him!" to attackers of Syrian immigrant sentenced to community service

27.7.2016 15:15
--ilustrační foto--
--ilustrační foto--

A court in Poznan, Poland has handed down a sentence of two years' community service to a 22-year-old Polish man who shouted "Kill him!" at two violent thugs who were beating up an immigrant from Syria in the center of that city. Newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza reported that Zygmunt W. was found co-responsible for the victim's injuries even though he did not physically attack him, because he incited the assailants to do so.

The defense said it was considering whether to appeal. The prosecution has expressed satisfaction with the verdict "as a warning to others who might want to commit a similar crime."

George Mamlouk (age 31) was beaten up last November in front of a shopping center, where three men first cursed him and threatened to kill him before two of them beat him until his nose was broken and both of his eyes and one knee were injured. The two perpetrators of the physical violence were previously convicted without trial after admitting their guilt, expressing regret, and voluntarily accepting their punishment.

The third defendant, Zygmunt W., admitted to having been present in front of the shopping center at the time but did not confess his role in the violence. Mamlouk, however, testified to his role in court as follows:  "I recognize his face. He was wearing a suit. I thought such an elegantly-dressed person would try to prevent the attack, but he was inciting them. He watched and shouted."

Judge Tomasz Borowczak said Mamlouk's testimony was believable and corresponded to the testimony of passers-by as well as the other assailants. "This was a gratuitous attack, the perceived faith of the victim does not rationalize it," the judge said.

The attackers testified that at the time they assaulted the Syrian man they believed he was a Muslim. He is actually a Catholic, like most Poles.

During sentencing, the judge took into account the fact that Zygmunt W. had no prior criminal record. For the next two years he will have to perform 40 hours of community service per month.

Zygmunt W. is also expected to compensate Mamlouk 3 000 Polish zloty (approximately EUR 700). When Mamlouk was attacked, none of the passers-by who witnessed the violence stood up for the Syrian victim.

After the incident happened, a demonstration of solidarity with the assaulted immigrant was held in front of the shopping center. The Mayor of Poznan, Jacek Jaśkowiak, visited the injured man in hospital together a Catholic Archbishop and apologized to him for the racist attack.  

ČTK, jal, translated by Gwendolyn Albert
Views: 359x

Don't miss:

Related articles:

Tags:  

Catholic Church, Extremism, Immigration, Verdict, Violence



HEADLINE NEWS

--ilustrační foto--

Hungary: Camerawoman gets three-year probation for kicking at migrants

17.1.2017 9:56
A court in the town of Szeged has placed Petra László, the Hungarian camerawoman for the N1TV station who kicked migrants at the Hungarian-Serbian border in September 2015, on probation for three years. The public defender is appealing and asking that his client be released.
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech initiative says those in need of housing will not receive it unless law requires it

17.1.2017 8:59
The "Have a Home" (Mít svůj domov) initiative, which brings together more than 90 organizations working in the social sphere, resolutely rejects the Czech Government's proposal not to legally require municipalities to provide social housing in the Law on Social Housing now being drafted. The initiative says that if the law does not require municipalities to provide social housing for needy groups or create some other guarantee that aid will be provided by the state to those in need of housing, most of the 200 000 people now in need of housing will not be housed.
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech Republic: Romani Holocaust Memorial at Hodonín to open this summer

17.1.2017 7:49
The memorial to the Romani Holocaust at Hodonín u Kunštátu will open to visitors this summer. Trial operations should begin in July and the official opening will take place in August.
 full story

Discussion:

Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.

More articles from category







Romano voďi

Romano voďi 12/2013

..
romea - logo