Poland: Ultra-nationalists troll Auschwitz commemoration for the first time ever
Dozens of adherents of the Polish ultra-right assembled at the former Nazi concentration camp of Auschwitz, which is an open-air museum today, during the commemoration of the 74th anniversary of the liberation of the death camp by the Soviet Army. Those commemorating the liberation did not ever encounter the protesters.
Reuters reported that this is the first time Polish ultra-nationalists have ever held such a demonstration on this occasion. The ceremony honoring the memory of the victims was attended by Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and several members of his Government, along with some of the last prisoners of the former camp to have survived the Nazi crimes.
The ultra-right demonstrators waved Polish flags and sang the Polish national anthem in different part of the camp. "The Jewish nation and Israel are doing all they can to alter the history of the Polish nation. Polish patriots must not allow this," declared Piotr Rybak of the self-described "Polish Independence Movement", which organized the ultra-nationalists' assembly.
Reuters reported that critics are accusing Poland's governing party of attempting to downplay the roles that were played by Polish people in the Holocaust. Many in Poland still refuse to acknowledge researchers' findings that the Nazis had thousands of Polish henchmen also involved in the murder of the Jews, even as thousands of other Poles risked their lives to save them.
There were 3.2 million Jewish people living in Poland prior to the Second World War, 3 million of whom were murdered by the Nazis. That number accounts for roughly half of all the Jewish people who lost their lives during the war.
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- Czech court hears testimony from former secretary to ultranationalist party about his bigoted outburst
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- Former secretary for Czech ultranationalist party rejects indictment over his remarks about minorities
- Austrian Parliament expands ban on extremist symbols to include Islamist emblems, domestic ultra-right symbols not banned
- Roma Holocaust Memorial Day marks the Nazi murder of Roma and Sinti at Auschwitz on 2-3 August 1944
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- Czech commemoration of Holocaust at Terezín Memorial will again not feature the Romani flag
- Objects from Auschwitz Museum featured in international travelling exhibition to warn against growing racism
- Czech Republic: Romani Resistance Day event connects Auschwitz uprising with tenants whose power has been cut
- Poland: Solidarity march with Muslims planned in Elk after xenophobic unrest continues
- Poland: Attempted robbery results in death, racist unrest
- Commentary: Polish reporter will discuss her book about Roma this week in Prague and Plzeň
- Poland: Man who shouted "Kill him!" to attackers of Syrian immigrant sentenced to community service
- Poland: German television series sued for scenes depicting Polish anti-Semitism during WWII
- England: Arsonists attack Polish family in Plymouth
- UK: "No More Polish Vermin" - adherents of Brexit assault foreigners on the streets
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- Dozens of heads of state and government honoring the memory of Holocaust victims at Auschwitz Memorial today
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture to educate students at memorial site of former concentration camp at Lety
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic
- VIDEO: Holocaust survivor from Germany's Sinti community, Rita Prigmore, warns it could happen again
- 104-year-old Holocaust survivor photographed with her 400 descendants down the generations
- ROMEA TV LIVE from Roma Holocaust Memorial Day events at Auschwitz Memorial
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities logged 347 antisemitic incidents last year, police addressed 15
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Residents of the Czech Republic's "Wild North" choose between nostalgic vigilantism and forward-looking coexistence