Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
Last Thursday Pope Francis held a prayer meeting with about 500 Romani and Sinti people at the Vatican during which he said reports of recent racist assaults against the Roma were very painful to him and criticized the people behind them. "I am praying for you and I am here for you," the Pope told them.
"Whenever I read something shameful in the newspapers, to tell you the truth, I suffer. Today I read something shaming and I am suffering about it," the Pope said.
Last week the (neo)Fascist CasaPound party assembled in a particular quarter of Rome to protest the leasing of a municipally-owned apartment to a 14-member Romani family from Bosnia. Several Italian media outlets published video footage of an activist from CasaPound calling the mother of the family a "whore" and threatening to rape her.
The incident happened on Tuesday, 7 May. The woman, who was carrying a child in her arms, had to be escorted by police to the rental housing.
Protests accusing Romani people of theft and other crimes are commonplace in Rome. Parties like CasaPound are of the view that the state should make native-born Italians their first priority of interest ahead of immigrants and Romani people.
Pope Francis criticized the motives for the creation of such second-class citizens. He also condemned those who think in terms of "us first, and then all the rest of you" when it comes to social rights.
"Yes, second-class citizens exist here, but those who are really second-rate are those who reject people because they are unable to accept them," the Pope said. The Romani family attacked by the CasaPound activists have been invited by the Pope to meet with him and other members of the Roman Catholic Church soon.
- Italian theater cancels neo-Fascist concert co-opting Czechoslovak historical figure, so it moves from Verona to Lazis
- Italian Senator who compared his colleague to an "orangutan" has been convicted
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Czech students protest co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure in Italy
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- Czechoslovak Legionnaires on the Italian front - Romani fighters and their sad fates
- Czech capital to see seminar on stereotypes in the photographic depictions of Jewish and Romani people
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- Italy: Romani infant hospitalized after being shot with pellet gun
- Italy: Court in Rome convicts four perpetrators of 2011 pogrom on Romani camp in Turin
- Czech Republic: Pope Francis gives his blessing to the sixth year of the Roma Spirit awards
- Romani participant in international pilgrimage: Meeting the Pope is the experience of a lifetime
- Address of His Holiness Pope Francis: Meeting with participants in the pilgrimage of Gypsies
- Pope Francis to Roma: Your nation deserves a new story
- LIVE BROADCAST 10:30 GMT today: Romani people meet with Pope Francis
- Pope Francis asks forgiveness for crimes against indigenous people and criticizes "new colonialism"
- Pope Francis pays surprise visit to immigrants in former camp for Roma
- Pope Francis wishes hope and peace for Romani families in Italy
- Commentary: Pope Francis is right - Roma are often modern-day slaves
- Almost 2 000 Romani people granted historic audience with the Pope
- Sarkozy to see Pope after French crackdown on Gypsies
- City council sets aside sites for gypsies arriving to see Pope in Birmingham
- Pope asks French to welcome all nationalities
- German Govt approves measures to combat right-wing extremism, requires social media firms to report IP addresses of users making death threats
- Czech Regional Court returns online hate speech case about death threats against first-graders to lower court, more evidence needed
- Michal Mižigár: What democracy brought us Romani people in the Czech Republic in the 1990s
- In future, Czech quarterly reports on extremism may mention only settled cases, not ones in progress
- Czech counter-intelligence disrupted Russian hacker spies and Hezbollah network, warns ultra-right targeting of Muslims could contribute to radicalization
- LIVE BROADCAST: International Conference on Antigypsyism and Hate Speech Online
- Lifeguard gets state honors from Czech President for injuries sustained in brawl that sparked ultra-right anti-Romani demonstration
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Germany: Neo-Nazi kills two people near synagogue and kebab place, motivated by antisemitism and right-wing extremism
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy