Rise in race complaints
HOPEFULLY a dramatic increase in the number of race-related complaints to the Equality Tribunal is a simple statistical consequence of an increased number of foreign nationals in our work places, combined with a growing awareness of their legal rights.
On the other hand, if the apparent surge in the number of unpleasant incidents in some workplaces reflects rising tensions, it is a cause for real concern and needs to be examined.
Complaints about race discrimination have more than doubled in the last six months. Almost half the claimants were successful and were awarded an average of more than €10,000. This suggests that many complaints were either spurious or were considered unworthy of compensation.
Any action that serves to heighten tension or resentment between nationalities is criminally destructive.
The vast majority of our 400,000 immigrants are here legally. They are here to work, to pay their taxes, to improve their own lives and contribute to the life of the country. They have a contract with Ireland and part of that contract states that they will observe the laws of the land.
The Roma Gypsies camped illegally on the M50. The Minister for Justice acted swiftly, firmly and correctly.
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- Czech EP elections won by governing ANO party ahead of the Civic Democrats and Pirates
- Gabriela Hrabaňová: The EP elections will influence our lives
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music
- MEP of Romani origin Soraya Post asks ROMEA TV: How can Czech President Zeman be so stupid?
- VIDEO: Roma Week in the European Parliament continues with a conference about antigypsyism