Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
Dominik Oračko of Sokolov, Czech Republic won two gold medals in his age and weight category at the International Weightlifting Federation Youth World Weightlifting Championships during the late night hours of Friday and early morning hours of Saturday Central European Time. The 16-year-old traveled to Las Vegas for the contest.
The Romani weightlifter competed in the weight category of 102 kg and above. The official website of the town of Sokolov has reported the news.
Oračko won a total of two gold medals and one silver. One was in the event of snatch, where he lifted 144 kg.
In the clean and jerk event Oračko ended up second after Rahman Kazimov of Azerbaijan. Both lifted 174 kg in that event, but Oračko won in terms of overall weight lifted in both events and took home a second gold for that result (see video here).
Competitor Marek Polhoš, who comes from the same division as Oračko, also competed in the weight category up to 55 kg and came in 11th place. Last year Oračko earned three gold medals in the European Youth Weightlifting Championships, breaking records for the under-15, 94 kg and over category in the snatch event and overall.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- EXCLUSIVE: Romani figure skater Ivan Righini, three-time Italian champion, competes for the European Championship
- Tyson Fury, boxer with Romani roots, defeats Klitschko to become world champion
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights is now Monika Šimůnková, a former Human Rights Commissioner
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Emil Voráč: Some non-Romani social work clients in the Czech Republic refuse aid from Romani people
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Magdalena Karvayová: Parents in the ghettos need to see education offers their children a future
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Edita Stejskalová: Czech PM has decided not to establish the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs