Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
Dominik Oračko of Sokolov, Czech Republic won two gold medals in his age and weight category at the International Weightlifting Federation Youth World Weightlifting Championships during the late night hours of Friday and early morning hours of Saturday Central European Time. The 16-year-old traveled to Las Vegas for the contest.
The Romani weightlifter competed in the weight category of 102 kg and above. The official website of the town of Sokolov has reported the news.
Oračko won a total of two gold medals and one silver. One was in the event of snatch, where he lifted 144 kg.
In the clean and jerk event Oračko ended up second after Rahman Kazimov of Azerbaijan. Both lifted 174 kg in that event, but Oračko won in terms of overall weight lifted in both events and took home a second gold for that result (see video here).
Competitor Marek Polhoš, who comes from the same division as Oračko, also competed in the weight category up to 55 kg and came in 11th place. Last year Oračko earned three gold medals in the European Youth Weightlifting Championships, breaking records for the under-15, 94 kg and over category in the snatch event and overall.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- EXCLUSIVE: Romani figure skater Ivan Righini, three-time Italian champion, competes for the European Championship
- Tyson Fury, boxer with Romani roots, defeats Klitschko to become world champion
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- Commentary: Which Czech media outlets can we take seriously?
- Czech-Slovak co-production of TV singing contest to feature Romani celebrity on the jury
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights is now Monika Šimůnková, a former Human Rights Commissioner