Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
Dominik Oračko of Sokolov, Czech Republic won two gold medals in his age and weight category at the International Weightlifting Federation Youth World Weightlifting Championships during the late night hours of Friday and early morning hours of Saturday Central European Time. The 16-year-old traveled to Las Vegas for the contest.
The Romani weightlifter competed in the weight category of 102 kg and above. The official website of the town of Sokolov has reported the news.
Oračko won a total of two gold medals and one silver. One was in the event of snatch, where he lifted 144 kg.
In the clean and jerk event Oračko ended up second after Rahman Kazimov of Azerbaijan. Both lifted 174 kg in that event, but Oračko won in terms of overall weight lifted in both events and took home a second gold for that result (see video here).
Competitor Marek Polhoš, who comes from the same division as Oračko, also competed in the weight category up to 55 kg and came in 11th place. Last year Oračko earned three gold medals in the European Youth Weightlifting Championships, breaking records for the under-15, 94 kg and over category in the snatch event and overall.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- EXCLUSIVE: Romani figure skater Ivan Righini, three-time Italian champion, competes for the European Championship
- Tyson Fury, boxer with Romani roots, defeats Klitschko to become world champion
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Jan Cina wins Czech Television's StarDance 2021 competition with Adriana Mašková
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Council for Romani Minority Affairs: Petr Uhl was and will always remain a person who gave many Romani men and women a hope of a more dignified life
- Final round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" to broadcast this weekend, Romani family act makes the finals
- Petr Uhl, dissident in communist Czechoslovakia, human rights defender and journalist, has passed away
- Dominik Oračko, Romani weightlifter, given regional honor in the Czech Republic
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Slovak Defense Ministry gives Romani community member Richard Koky award for his contribution to fighting COVID-19, he calls on everyone to get vaccinated
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Romani musician Tibor Žida advances to the next round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" with his version of the Czechoslovak national anthem