Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
Dominik Oračko of Sokolov, Czech Republic won two gold medals in his age and weight category at the International Weightlifting Federation Youth World Weightlifting Championships during the late night hours of Friday and early morning hours of Saturday Central European Time. The 16-year-old traveled to Las Vegas for the contest.
The Romani weightlifter competed in the weight category of 102 kg and above. The official website of the town of Sokolov has reported the news.
Oračko won a total of two gold medals and one silver. One was in the event of snatch, where he lifted 144 kg.
In the clean and jerk event Oračko ended up second after Rahman Kazimov of Azerbaijan. Both lifted 174 kg in that event, but Oračko won in terms of overall weight lifted in both events and took home a second gold for that result (see video here).
Competitor Marek Polhoš, who comes from the same division as Oračko, also competed in the weight category up to 55 kg and came in 11th place. Last year Oračko earned three gold medals in the European Youth Weightlifting Championships, breaking records for the under-15, 94 kg and over category in the snatch event and overall.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- Grandson of famous Czechoslovak partisan from the Romani community says his grandfather was a hero
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Ladislav Samek: It is hard to get rid of the label of "institutionalized child" in Czech society
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Romani player on Czech futsal team says he responds to racism by playing even better
- Even in hell, she chose good: Alfreda Markowska, the Polish Romani woman who saved Jewish and Romani children from the Nazis