Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
Dominik Oračko of Sokolov, Czech Republic won two gold medals in his age and weight category at the International Weightlifting Federation Youth World Weightlifting Championships during the late night hours of Friday and early morning hours of Saturday Central European Time. The 16-year-old traveled to Las Vegas for the contest.
The Romani weightlifter competed in the weight category of 102 kg and above. The official website of the town of Sokolov has reported the news.
Oračko won a total of two gold medals and one silver. One was in the event of snatch, where he lifted 144 kg.
In the clean and jerk event Oračko ended up second after Rahman Kazimov of Azerbaijan. Both lifted 174 kg in that event, but Oračko won in terms of overall weight lifted in both events and took home a second gold for that result (see video here).
Competitor Marek Polhoš, who comes from the same division as Oračko, also competed in the weight category up to 55 kg and came in 11th place. Last year Oračko earned three gold medals in the European Youth Weightlifting Championships, breaking records for the under-15, 94 kg and over category in the snatch event and overall.
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Youth Olympics team has its first medal - Romani community can be proud of the record-setting performance too
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Martin Daniel, the ball hockey champion of Slovakia, is also a diabetic and a member of the Romani community
- EXCLUSIVE: Romani figure skater Ivan Righini, three-time Italian champion, competes for the European Championship
- Tyson Fury, boxer with Romani roots, defeats Klitschko to become world champion
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors