Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
Last year the story of Annamárie Horváthová, a schoolgirl from an impoverished Romani family in Slovakia, drew attention and sympathy after she won a running competition wearing flats. She has been training and competing since September 2018 and now has the proper footwear for it.
Last week she scored big successes in the Junior Championship of the East Slovakian Athletic Union. She is now the champion for that region, according to Mária Tóthová, an educator who blogged about the student athlete in an online media outlet serving teachers in Slovakia.
Horváthová won the 800 meter race in her age category and came in second place in the 300 meter. The story of the Romani girl, who has six siblings and gets top grades at school, sparked a debate in the media about the fact that children growing up in impoverished conditions do not have much of a chance to develop their talent.
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking gets a rewrite, this time as a Romani girl
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Slovak TV program focuses on Romani girl who studies despite living without electricity
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around
- Slovakia: Romani girl from settlement now champion runner in her region
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Slovakia: Dozens of children from orphanage ending up in psychiatric care - is it a business?
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- Slovak President-elect creates minority adviser team, Roma represented by Jurina Rusnáková and Viktor Teru
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Slovak President-elect says a single court decision cannot solve the problem of extremism and Fascism