Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
Last year the story of Annamárie Horváthová, a schoolgirl from an impoverished Romani family in Slovakia, drew attention and sympathy after she won a running competition wearing flats. She has been training and competing since September 2018 and now has the proper footwear for it.
Last week she scored big successes in the Junior Championship of the East Slovakian Athletic Union. She is now the champion for that region, according to Mária Tóthová, an educator who blogged about the student athlete in an online media outlet serving teachers in Slovakia.
Horváthová won the 800 meter race in her age category and came in second place in the 300 meter. The story of the Romani girl, who has six siblings and gets top grades at school, sparked a debate in the media about the fact that children growing up in impoverished conditions do not have much of a chance to develop their talent.
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking gets a rewrite, this time as a Romani girl
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Slovak TV program focuses on Romani girl who studies despite living without electricity
- Slovakia: Romani people protest against Fascists in the east
- Czech-Slovak co-production of TV singing contest to feature Romani celebrity on the jury
- Czech court again acquits youths accused of assaulting man because of his skin color, prosecutor may appeal
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- Slovakia: Café Európa discusses underrepresentation of Romani people in politics
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- Slovak town bans demonstration by fascists out of respect for Holocaust victims
- Commentary by Czech MEP Zdechovský: Roma need work, not welfare!