Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
Last year the story of Annamárie Horváthová, a schoolgirl from an impoverished Romani family in Slovakia, drew attention and sympathy after she won a running competition wearing flats. She has been training and competing since September 2018 and now has the proper footwear for it.
Last week she scored big successes in the Junior Championship of the East Slovakian Athletic Union. She is now the champion for that region, according to Mária Tóthová, an educator who blogged about the student athlete in an online media outlet serving teachers in Slovakia.
Horváthová won the 800 meter race in her age category and came in second place in the 300 meter. The story of the Romani girl, who has six siblings and gets top grades at school, sparked a debate in the media about the fact that children growing up in impoverished conditions do not have much of a chance to develop their talent.
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking gets a rewrite, this time as a Romani girl
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Slovak TV program focuses on Romani girl who studies despite living without electricity
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist
- Romani politicians: Slovak court's judgment in case of police abuse of children is unacceptable
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Slovak court says school, not state, is responsible for segregating Romani children
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory