Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
"I wrote to the gypsy that her little one will not get lunch today," reads a message written by a teacher at a nursery school in Bratislava's Vrakuna municipal department, referring to the mother of one the children enrolled there. She mistakenly sent the message online directly to the mother herself.
That was not the only error the teacher committed - the lunches she was describing in the message as not having been paid for actually already had been paid upfront. "Madame Teacher was wrong, and she sent that message to me by mistake where she was writing about me - apparently I'm a 'gypsy'. Is this how a teacher is meant to communicate? I believe each mother here has a name of her own, whether she's a 'gypsy', a peasant, Chinese or Mongolian," the mother told tvnoviny.sk.
The mayor of the municipal department, JUDr. Ing. Martin Kuruc, apologized in a comment on social media. "As the establisher of the nursery school I want to apologize for this crass behavior on the part of our teacher. I categorically reject any displays of racial hatred. I immediately began to take action, I contacted the head of our education department by telephone and the principal of the nursery school. All involved naturally regret this," he posted.
Kuruc also said the principal had apologized to the mother and the teacher had been summoned to discuss the incident. Legal action will be taken.
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová has breakfast with Romani students
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovak Constitutional Court awards compensation to Roma for 13-year court case - but the discrimination sued over still has no final ruling
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Infamous housing estate in Slovakia is finally turning around
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people