Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
"I wrote to the gypsy that her little one will not get lunch today," reads a message written by a teacher at a nursery school in Bratislava's Vrakuna municipal department, referring to the mother of one the children enrolled there. She mistakenly sent the message online directly to the mother herself.
That was not the only error the teacher committed - the lunches she was describing in the message as not having been paid for actually already had been paid upfront. "Madame Teacher was wrong, and she sent that message to me by mistake where she was writing about me - apparently I'm a 'gypsy'. Is this how a teacher is meant to communicate? I believe each mother here has a name of her own, whether she's a 'gypsy', a peasant, Chinese or Mongolian," the mother told tvnoviny.sk.
The mayor of the municipal department, JUDr. Ing. Martin Kuruc, apologized in a comment on social media. "As the establisher of the nursery school I want to apologize for this crass behavior on the part of our teacher. I categorically reject any displays of racial hatred. I immediately began to take action, I contacted the head of our education department by telephone and the principal of the nursery school. All involved naturally regret this," he posted.
Kuruc also said the principal had apologized to the mother and the teacher had been summoned to discuss the incident. Legal action will be taken.
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- After European Court of Human Rights ruling, Slovak court acquits yet another Romani victim wrongfully indicted for reporting a brutal police attack
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech lower house committee chooses attorney now facing disciplinary action for making light of racist crime to join public broadcasting board
- Czech court hands down sentencing in pool brawl case, one Romani man acquitted for having attempted to stop the altercation
- Czech court sentences brutal, racially-motivated assailant who attacked Romani man in front of children to 7.5 years in prison