Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
"I wrote to the gypsy that her little one will not get lunch today," reads a message written by a teacher at a nursery school in Bratislava's Vrakuna municipal department, referring to the mother of one the children enrolled there. She mistakenly sent the message online directly to the mother herself.
That was not the only error the teacher committed - the lunches she was describing in the message as not having been paid for actually already had been paid upfront. "Madame Teacher was wrong, and she sent that message to me by mistake where she was writing about me - apparently I'm a 'gypsy'. Is this how a teacher is meant to communicate? I believe each mother here has a name of her own, whether she's a 'gypsy', a peasant, Chinese or Mongolian," the mother told tvnoviny.sk.
The mayor of the municipal department, JUDr. Ing. Martin Kuruc, apologized in a comment on social media. "As the establisher of the nursery school I want to apologize for this crass behavior on the part of our teacher. I categorically reject any displays of racial hatred. I immediately began to take action, I contacted the head of our education department by telephone and the principal of the nursery school. All involved naturally regret this," he posted.
Kuruc also said the principal had apologized to the mother and the teacher had been summoned to discuss the incident. Legal action will be taken.
- Slovak Government apologizes for illegal sterilizations, lawyer and Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community say compensation must follow
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people
- Slovak Defense Ministry gives Romani community member Richard Koky award for his contribution to fighting COVID-19, he calls on everyone to get vaccinated
- Czech MMA fighter exploits media attention of his win to insult Romani people, then claims he is "not a racist"
- Director of the Museum of Romani Culture schools Czech senator in debate
- European Commissioners and MEPs visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- Slovakia's Roma Spirit 2021: Finalists include fashion designer Pavel Berky, rapper Čavalenky, and activist Denisa Havrľová
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct