Slovak nursery school teacher refers to child's mother as a "gypsy", then mistakenly sends her the message online
"I wrote to the gypsy that her little one will not get lunch today," reads a message written by a teacher at a nursery school in Bratislava's Vrakuna municipal department, referring to the mother of one the children enrolled there. She mistakenly sent the message online directly to the mother herself.
That was not the only error the teacher committed - the lunches she was describing in the message as not having been paid for actually already had been paid upfront. "Madame Teacher was wrong, and she sent that message to me by mistake where she was writing about me - apparently I'm a 'gypsy'. Is this how a teacher is meant to communicate? I believe each mother here has a name of her own, whether she's a 'gypsy', a peasant, Chinese or Mongolian," the mother told tvnoviny.sk.
The mayor of the municipal department, JUDr. Ing. Martin Kuruc, apologized in a comment on social media. "As the establisher of the nursery school I want to apologize for this crass behavior on the part of our teacher. I categorically reject any displays of racial hatred. I immediately began to take action, I contacted the head of our education department by telephone and the principal of the nursery school. All involved naturally regret this," he posted.
Kuruc also said the principal had apologized to the mother and the teacher had been summoned to discuss the incident. Legal action will be taken.
- Czech MP who said she "understood" racist death threats against Romani and other non-white children switches parties
- Slovak project where Roma build their own homes seems more feasible in village setting, for now
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Slovak tabloid covers funeral of Romani woman as spectacle
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Slovak survey of 450 settlements finds 80 % of households depend on borrowing money illegally
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?