Slovak Police investigate suspected racially-motivated assault against dark-skinned French student
A 20-year-old dark-skinned French student was assaulted over the weekend of 11-12 February in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia. A 31-year-old Slovak man has been charged with grievous bodily harm and faces up to three years in prison if convicted.
The man charged is suspected of committing his attack with racial motivation. Czech Television reports the incident happened in a bar at night.
The assailant allegedly injured the student's face using a broken drinking glass and threatened to kill him. "People around him did their best to prevent him from continuing his assault, but he vulgarly abused the victim. The motivation for the attack is said to have been the victim's skin color," Slovak Police Presidium spokesperson Denisa Baloghová said.
According to the Slovak newspaper Denník N, the victim is a student visiting Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica as part of the Erasmus student exchange program. The case is being investigated by an elite police unit that focuses on the most serious crimes.
"This is the first report of criminal extremism in which the prosecutor has remanded a suspect into custody since the new legislation took effect here," said Andrea Predajňová, spokesperson for the Slovak Prosecutor-General. An amendment has applied in Slovakia since January 2017 that is meant to aid investigations of extremism by making them more effective.
- Slovak Regional Governor spreads rumors about attempted rape on a train, police refute them
- Slovakia: Criminal charges filed against play about neo-Nazi arson attack in Czech Republic
- Slovak Parliament changes regional election rules, extremists could benefit
- Slovakia: More than 50 children from socially deprived families institutionalized since year began
- Slovakia: MP for fascist party criticizes recipients of state honors because of their origins and work
- Slovakia: Many youth support the ultra-right, study finds
- Czech capital sees gathering of Romani students awarded scholarships by the ROMEA organization
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored