Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
Media in Slovakia reported on 11 October that gunmen fired up to five bullets, probably using a machine gun, into the single-family home of a Romani family with young children in the town of Pohronská Polhora. Police are staying silent for the time being about the shocking case.
Local residents have never experienced anything like it. The incident happened after nightfall, when the children were in their cribs.
"Fortunately we were all in bed already. If it had happened earlier, when we were walking around, they could have hit somebody," a man living in the home said.
"There were children there too. They fired a machine gun, about four shots," said the victim.
"I don't know their names, the only thing I know is that they are from the neighboring town of Michalová," he told the media. Police officers have already arrested the youths who allegedly committed the drive-by shooting.
Two of them have been remanded into custody after a judge in Brezno decided to put them behind bars during the investigation as she was concerned they might continue their criminal activity. The suspects have been charged with unlicensed weapons possession, weapons trafficking and rioting.
The automobile from which they allegedly fired the weapon is parked in front of one of the suspects' homes in Michalová. The mother of one of the suspects confirmed to the Markíza television station that police officers searched the home and reportedly found cartridges there.
In a haystack far from the house they also reportedly discovered a weapon. The motivation for the incident is not yet known.
Police for the time being do not want to publicize any details due to the ongoing investigation. Reportedly the authorities will reveal more information tomorrow.
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Slovak Police charge four eyewitnesses to raid on Romani settlement with making false accusations
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Slovak Police charge politician with extremism
- Slovakia: Punishment for shooter of three Romani victims called absurdly low
- Slovakia: Romani community buries victims of off-duty cop shooting
- Slovakia: Off-duty cop shoots dead three Romani people and injures two others
- Some neo-Nazi webpages heroizing Slovak shooter
- Slovak court finds Romani tenants were discriminated against during eviction and relocation
- German court sentences neo-Nazi to life in prison
- Belgium: Roma Travellers to be evicted in EU capital, fire reported at their halting site
- Slovak Parliament condemns growing displays of extremism
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- UK: Trial of neo-Nazi who planned to murder MP and policewoman begins in London
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Slovakia: Romani girl from bad neighborhood did the best on entrance exams, now tutors others
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- Irena Biháriová: Comprehending the matrix of a Romani settlement in Slovakia is not easy
- Slovakia's national minority commissions to approve funding apparently rife with conflicts of interest
Tags:Crime, shootings, Slovakia, Violence
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.