Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
Media in Slovakia reported on 11 October that gunmen fired up to five bullets, probably using a machine gun, into the single-family home of a Romani family with young children in the town of Pohronská Polhora. Police are staying silent for the time being about the shocking case.
Local residents have never experienced anything like it. The incident happened after nightfall, when the children were in their cribs.
"Fortunately we were all in bed already. If it had happened earlier, when we were walking around, they could have hit somebody," a man living in the home said.
"There were children there too. They fired a machine gun, about four shots," said the victim.
"I don't know their names, the only thing I know is that they are from the neighboring town of Michalová," he told the media. Police officers have already arrested the youths who allegedly committed the drive-by shooting.
Two of them have been remanded into custody after a judge in Brezno decided to put them behind bars during the investigation as she was concerned they might continue their criminal activity. The suspects have been charged with unlicensed weapons possession, weapons trafficking and rioting.
The automobile from which they allegedly fired the weapon is parked in front of one of the suspects' homes in Michalová. The mother of one of the suspects confirmed to the Markíza television station that police officers searched the home and reportedly found cartridges there.
In a haystack far from the house they also reportedly discovered a weapon. The motivation for the incident is not yet known.
Police for the time being do not want to publicize any details due to the ongoing investigation. Reportedly the authorities will reveal more information tomorrow.
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Slovak Police charge four eyewitnesses to raid on Romani settlement with making false accusations
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Slovak Police charge politician with extremism
- Slovakia: Romani community buries victims of off-duty cop shooting
- Slovakia: Off-duty cop shoots dead three Romani people and injures two others
- Some neo-Nazi webpages heroizing Slovak shooter
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Three innovations introduced to prevent hatred and racism on Instagram after UEFA's EURO 2020 championship sees spike in racist speech
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- The confirmation that Slavia Prague hooligans with violent pasts were among those attacking Roma in the Czech town of Sokolov? Selfies.
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Justice for Stanislav. Family of the late Romani man from Teplice, Czech Republic publishes obituary, funeral will be Saturday
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- LIVE at 18:00 TODAY - Webinar on police brutality against Romani people with MEP Romeo Franz and director of RomanoNet Michal Miko