Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
Media in Slovakia reported on 11 October that gunmen fired up to five bullets, probably using a machine gun, into the single-family home of a Romani family with young children in the town of Pohronská Polhora. Police are staying silent for the time being about the shocking case.
Local residents have never experienced anything like it. The incident happened after nightfall, when the children were in their cribs.
"Fortunately we were all in bed already. If it had happened earlier, when we were walking around, they could have hit somebody," a man living in the home said.
"There were children there too. They fired a machine gun, about four shots," said the victim.
"I don't know their names, the only thing I know is that they are from the neighboring town of Michalová," he told the media. Police officers have already arrested the youths who allegedly committed the drive-by shooting.
Two of them have been remanded into custody after a judge in Brezno decided to put them behind bars during the investigation as she was concerned they might continue their criminal activity. The suspects have been charged with unlicensed weapons possession, weapons trafficking and rioting.
The automobile from which they allegedly fired the weapon is parked in front of one of the suspects' homes in Michalová. The mother of one of the suspects confirmed to the Markíza television station that police officers searched the home and reportedly found cartridges there.
In a haystack far from the house they also reportedly discovered a weapon. The motivation for the incident is not yet known.
Police for the time being do not want to publicize any details due to the ongoing investigation. Reportedly the authorities will reveal more information tomorrow.
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Slovak Police charge four eyewitnesses to raid on Romani settlement with making false accusations
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Slovak Police charge politician with extremism
- Slovakia: Romani community buries victims of off-duty cop shooting
- Slovakia: Off-duty cop shoots dead three Romani people and injures two others
- Some neo-Nazi webpages heroizing Slovak shooter
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- Czech Government Commissioner for Human Rights files report of crime over media coverage of her past
- Slovakia: Romani people protest against Fascists in the east
- Czech Police investigating Nazi symbols on 14 buildings in Ústí nad Orlicí
- Slovakia ahead of elections: Romani candidate suing fascists for defamation
- Austria: Wiener Symphoniker names Dalibor Karvay its new first concertmaster
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 19:00 CET: "Light in the Darkness" - Romani community gives awards in Slovakia
- Slovakia: Ultra-right calls for "asocials" to be sent to labor camps, police investigating