Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
Media in Slovakia reported on 11 October that gunmen fired up to five bullets, probably using a machine gun, into the single-family home of a Romani family with young children in the town of Pohronská Polhora. Police are staying silent for the time being about the shocking case.
Local residents have never experienced anything like it. The incident happened after nightfall, when the children were in their cribs.
"Fortunately we were all in bed already. If it had happened earlier, when we were walking around, they could have hit somebody," a man living in the home said.
"There were children there too. They fired a machine gun, about four shots," said the victim.
"I don't know their names, the only thing I know is that they are from the neighboring town of Michalová," he told the media. Police officers have already arrested the youths who allegedly committed the drive-by shooting.
Two of them have been remanded into custody after a judge in Brezno decided to put them behind bars during the investigation as she was concerned they might continue their criminal activity. The suspects have been charged with unlicensed weapons possession, weapons trafficking and rioting.
The automobile from which they allegedly fired the weapon is parked in front of one of the suspects' homes in Michalová. The mother of one of the suspects confirmed to the Markíza television station that police officers searched the home and reportedly found cartridges there.
In a haystack far from the house they also reportedly discovered a weapon. The motivation for the incident is not yet known.
Police for the time being do not want to publicize any details due to the ongoing investigation. Reportedly the authorities will reveal more information tomorrow.
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Slovak Police charge four eyewitnesses to raid on Romani settlement with making false accusations
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Slovak Police charge politician with extremism
- Slovakia: Punishment for shooter of three Romani victims called absurdly low
- Slovakia: Romani community buries victims of off-duty cop shooting
- Slovakia: Off-duty cop shoots dead three Romani people and injures two others
- Some neo-Nazi webpages heroizing Slovak shooter
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Slovakia: Second Romani schoolchild dies after February car accident
- Czech and Slovak Victims of Coercive Sterilization Await Justice
- Stano Daniel: A message from Slovakia. First, words fall. Then people.
- USA: High school students protest school shootings, demand stricter controls on guns
- Slovakia: Romani family rejected by neighbors before they even move in
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
- Illegally sterilized Romani women from Slovakia and the Czech Republic launch online petition as part of their fight for justice
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
- Antigypsyism on the agenda at EU’s High-Level Group on combating racism, xenophobia and other forms of intolerance
Tags:Crime, shootings, Slovakia, Violence
Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety22.4.2018 10:31
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.