Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
News server Novinky.sk reported yesterday that a young Romani mother named Naděžda was targeted for attack in the Slovak village of Snina by three aggressive men who looked like skinheads. Just before 8 PM the men broke into her home where she was alone with her children, the youngest of whom is a two-week-old infant.
Naděžda told the news server that her family survived the aggressive attack only thanks to the timely intervention of police officers, who came to the scene after she hid with her children from the assailants in the bathroom. She said she was convinced that the fact that the infant had kept quiet and not given away their hiding place was part of their successful rescue.
The attackers were searching the house when police arrived. "I'm Hitler, I'm the boss here, I'm going to kill you all," Naděžda said one assailant threatened her when he and his two friends burst into the apartment.
One allegedly shouted racist abuse at her, calling her a "filthy gypsy" and a "whore". Naděžda said the men were probably from Košice and had shaved heads and tattoos.
The assailants' behavior frightened the children. Naděžda said the men continued their aggressive behavior even after they were arrested and sitting in the police vehicle.
The men ended up in preliminary detention cells at the police station in Snina. "I can confirm that the case is being dealt with as a racially motivated felony by NAKA [the National Crime Agency]," Martin Wäldl, spokesperson for the Police Presidium of the Slovak Republic, told the news server.
- Czech and Slovak ministers call for ways to combat radicalism
- Germany compensating Czech and Slovak Roma 72 years after Nazi atrocities
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- Czech Police and Romani nonprofits have begun informing homeless Romani refugees from Ukraine at Prague's main train station of their options
- US President Biden condemns white supremacist terrorist attack in Buffalo, New York that murdered 10 people
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech capital to see demonstration in support of Romani refugees from Ukraine calling for dignified conditions
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech Health Minister: Room for Romani refugees from Ukraine has to be found outside of Prague
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Caritas branch objects to Romani political party's critique of aid to Romani refugees from Ukraine, party stands by its allegations
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Prague Mayor tells Czech Govt that if refugees are not redistributed elsewhere in the country by Tuesday, he will close the assistance center
- VIDEO: Tents for Romani refugees from Ukraine were erected in the Czech capital in the Troja neighborhood