Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
News server Novinky.sk reported yesterday that a young Romani mother named Naděžda was targeted for attack in the Slovak village of Snina by three aggressive men who looked like skinheads. Just before 8 PM the men broke into her home where she was alone with her children, the youngest of whom is a two-week-old infant.
Naděžda told the news server that her family survived the aggressive attack only thanks to the timely intervention of police officers, who came to the scene after she hid with her children from the assailants in the bathroom. She said she was convinced that the fact that the infant had kept quiet and not given away their hiding place was part of their successful rescue.
The attackers were searching the house when police arrived. "I'm Hitler, I'm the boss here, I'm going to kill you all," Naděžda said one assailant threatened her when he and his two friends burst into the apartment.
One allegedly shouted racist abuse at her, calling her a "filthy gypsy" and a "whore". Naděžda said the men were probably from Košice and had shaved heads and tattoos.
The assailants' behavior frightened the children. Naděžda said the men continued their aggressive behavior even after they were arrested and sitting in the police vehicle.
The men ended up in preliminary detention cells at the police station in Snina. "I can confirm that the case is being dealt with as a racially motivated felony by NAKA [the National Crime Agency]," Martin Wäldl, spokesperson for the Police Presidium of the Slovak Republic, told the news server.
- Czech and Slovak ministers call for ways to combat radicalism
- Germany compensating Czech and Slovak Roma 72 years after Nazi atrocities
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- Slovak ironworks prefers to hire Romani citizens instead of foreign nationals
- New comedy series on Czech public television to feature crude humor, racist remarks and vulgar language
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Romani people adopted as children from Slovakia to Sweden 20 years ago revisit their native settlement
- How were Romani members of the Czechoslovak Legionnaires rewarded for their service?
- Yet another Czech town bans housing benefits, opposition politician and Romani NGO object
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech ultra-right extremists plan to commemorate 10th anniversary of their attempted pogrom on Romani people
- Czech Constitutional Court receives complaint about election campaign, proposals for "fertilization" of "gypsies" recur in local media discussion
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Commentary: Czech President Zeman's racism and Romani people