Slovakia: Two men charged with assaulting black basketball player
Police in the Slovak town of Nitra charged two 21-year-old men yesterday with attacking Jean Rony Cadot, a black basketball player for the Nitra team. The assault was sparked by an argument in the Devil's Pub in Nitra after someone spilled a drink on Cadot's pants there.
The assailants have been charged with rioting, battery and racial hatred. They shouted racist epithets at the athlete during the assault.
Slovak Police President Tibor Gašpar says the indictment is seeking to remand the two suspects into custody and a court will soon decide whether to do so. Police are concerned the suspects might continue their criminal activity because, among other reasons, they followed Cadot all the way to the hospital after attacking him and were most probably determined to continue their assault on him even there.
"We are also considering charging other persons. We are working with a total of six suspects, four of whom probably actively participated in the assault," Gašpar said. The attack occurred on 14 February in front of the Devil's Pub.
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Unsubstantiated allegations about democratic parties being shared by Czech Internet users in the runup to European elections
- † 17. 5. 1998, Orlová, Czech Republic: Milan Lacko
- Italy: Almost 1 000 Roma and Sinti march in Milan on Romani Resistance Day
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
- Lawyer on groundbreaking Czech court finding: Courts must consider hate crime victims' perspectives now
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Romania loses at the European Court of Human Rights, must compensate Roma family for police brutality
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- PHOTO GALLERY: Demonstration by the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement and those counter-protesting it