Ukraine: Neo-Nazi Right Sector fighters attack pro-Russian MP
Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov addressed an emphatic warning to neo-Nazis from the Right Sector organization on 1 October. In response to an attack committed Tuesday by right-wing radicals against a pro-Russian MP, Avakov declared that America and Europe could turn away from supporting Ukraine if similar incidents persist.
The victim was Ukrainian MP Nestor Shufrych (Party of the Regions), a famous critic of the current regime's military campaign against pro-Russian separatists in the east of the country. On Tuesday he was beaten up in the Black Sea port city of Odessa by a Right Sector commando unit who broke his nose, bruised his eye and bloodied his face.
Ukrainian media report that the MP is hospitalized in Odessa with a concussion. "A few more beat-up Shufryches and Europe will turn away from our victorious revolution. I am afraid America will as well," Interior Minister Avakov posted to Facebook on 1 October.
"Mister Radicals, unless you want to be taken for insignificant morons, stop lynching people," Avakov wrote. The Unian press agency reported that the reason for Tuesday's incident was a lustration law now being intensively discussed in Ukraine.
Shufrych is an opponent of lustration, and the Right Sector activists wanted to throw him into a garbage bin, which has become a widespread form of protest recently in Ukraine. The MP, however, is said to have defended himself proficiently and to have not succumbed until he was soundly punched.
- Ukraine: Neo-Nazis from Right Sector threaten armed march on Kiev
- Ukraine: Pro-Russian separatists want to "purge" Slavyansk of "Gypsies"
- Ukraine: Neo-Nazis from Right Sector form Donbas battalion to handle pro-Russian separatists
- Ukraine: Police brutally beat Romani people during a raid, tubercular man has died
- UN CEDAW urges Ukraine to eliminate discrimination against Romani women
- Scottish court convicts traffickers of exploiting young women
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Germany: Vandals cut down tree honoring victims of neo-Nazi terrorists
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago
- Hate Killer 3000! campaign reminds bystanders in the Czech Republic how to stand up to hate
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- VIDEO: Czech Police prevent neo-Nazis from assaulting Prague Pride participants
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre
- Poland: Trial begins of neo-Nazis who celebrated birthday of the mass murderer Adolf Hitler
- Germany charges neo-Nazis with conspiring to commit terrorism