Ukraine: Romani activist Anzhelika Belova hospitalized after stabbing, assailant arrested
News server kyivpost.com has reported that Anzhelika Belova, an activist from the Romani community and the director of the Lacho Drom organization, was stabbed not far from her home in Zaporizhia in the southeast of Ukraine on 24 October. According to Naoufal Hamdani, the president of a local association for ethnic minorities in Zaporizhia Oblast, the attack on her was committed around noon in the corridor of the building where the activist lives after the attacker followed her home from a local store where she had been shopping.
The perpetrator stabbed Ms Belova with a knife more than once. She was hospitalized and operated on as a result.
The Facebook profile of the Romani radio station Chiriklo reported later that same day that Ms Belova was in stable condition, according to her relatives. Police have reportedly arrested the attacker and begun an investigation.
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Amnesty International: No justice one year after attack on a Romani camp in Ukraine
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- EU analysis finds main target of pro-Kremlin disinformation last year was Ukraine
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- The bells in Ukraine are tolling for the Roma
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
- In Prague and other European cities, Romani people and their allies to protest recent violence against Roma in Ukraine
- Edita Stejskalová: OSCE should send observer missions to Ukraine regarding pogroms against Roma and monitor the police investigation
- Ukraine: Recent pogroms against Roma costing lives around the country
- Ukrainian court remands two juveniles into custody for murderous pogrom against Roma, Canada and USA condemn the racist violence
- Ukraine: One Romani man killed and others injured, including child, during yet another neo-Nazi pogrom
- Ukraine: Paramilitaries broadcast live pogrom against Roma on Facebook, the fourth in the last six weeks
- Ukraine: Third arson attack against Roma in a month, firearms also used against 7 adults, 30+ children
- Ukraine: Violence against Romani people is escalating
- Ukraine: Video of pogrom against Roma shows neo-Nazis chasing children, throwing rocks at them and using tear gas
- Ukraine: Non-Romani politician charged with shooting one Romani man dead during pogrom and wounding four others
- Ukraine: Odessa is flooded with anti-Romani posters
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Araceli Cañadas Ortega: Romani women are the roots that feed our communities with care and love
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- Romani activist will seek to become chair of Progressive Slovakia party
- Newly-elected Slovak MP Jarmila Vaňová: I thank Romani voters for coming out and demanding change
- Romani competitive dancer Tomáš Kaluja aids non-Romani foster parents of Romani children in Slovakia with understanding ethnic identity
- Czech MPs draft bill to compensate women who have been forcibly sterilized
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism