Commentary: Czech Social Democrats have to choose between democracy and racism
They are destroying our society, taking away our hope of improving the relationships among people here, destroying our democracy and our political culture. Who am I talking about?
Populists, racists, and xenophobes, some of whom are also destroying our traditional political parties, the Czech Social Democratic Party (ČSSD) first and foremost, a party where, under normal circumstances, nobody would ever expect to find racism. Czech MP Jaroslav Foldyna, the vice chair of the ČSSD, is one of these destroyers.
How does he carry out his destruction? He does it by constantly baiting and categorizing others as enemies and traitors, by using hysterical shouting to raise the temperature of the societal atmosphere until it is white-hot.
Foldyna also does this by pushing the envelope on what is acceptable. What was not polite to say in public a year ago is commonly used today, because his constant presentation of bunkum as if it were the truth somehow gives him an extra bit of credibility in the eyes of his followers.
The vice-chair actually already has a lot behind him as a crusader against common sense. According to him, Romani people as a whole abuse whatever they can, above all childcare and welfare benefits.
Foldyna's role model is the authoritative Putin regime in Russia. He, too, confuses nationalism with patriotism.
The Social Democratic MP is not himself a patriot, because he never discusses pride in his country and nation - he is a nationalist, because he fanatically defines himself in opposition to others, and his enemies are minorities, Romani people above all, and those who defend their rights. Those are the main reasons he is a star of that cesspool on our media landscape, the racist "Parlamentní listy" tabloid.
Most recently, during a television debate about free lunches for primary school pupils, Foldyna decided to take the opportunity to insult Holocaust victims who are Romani. He ridiculed the planned memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku and made erroneous statements about it.
"We're buying out pig farms here so we can build mausoleums on them that cost billions," [sic: it will actually cost about CZK 40 million] Foldyna argued, adding that if the state has money for that expense, then it has the money to buy lunch for all children in primary school, including those from rich families. Moderator Michaela Jílková interrupted him: "I wouldn't mention that in particular, show some respect," she said.
The MP then retorted "What's to respect?", emphasizing that he believes it unnecessary to show any respect at all for Holocaust victims who are Romani. You can smell his sense of superiority from a mile away.
However, most of the left-wing liberals and modern socialists in his party pretend it does not bother them when their vice-chair shouts racist lies on television. These people believe that if they just keep quiet, they will prevent their party from splintering - and maybe even save it from extinction.
During the last elections, ČSSD fell very far in the ratings, and that is now meant to be redeemed by false intra-party solidarity. To outsiders, this solidarity is demonstrated by all Social Democrats doing their best to tolerate each other irrespective of what they might advocate or say.
This is a major cramp in the party's style, as it is apparent that Social Democrats traditionally are democratic as well as social - and that does not go together with racism and xenophobia. Foldyna is far from the first racist deviation for the ČSSD, but whereas previously the party leadership responded to such things from time to time at least, today they are shaking in their boots and staying quiet.
These people know that Foldyna and the party members who are like him belong, mentally speaking, next to Czech MP Tomio Okamura of the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party. The Social Democratic chair and current Interior Minister Hamáček, Labor and Social Affairs Minister Maláčová, the former Prime Minister Sobotka, former EU Commissioner Špidla, former Education Minister Valachová, etc., are absolutely incompatible with the Okamura-type "Social Democrats" (including Czech President Zeman, no longer in the party).
A normal person would be ashamed of a specimen like Foldyna, but Hamáček and Co. believe they have to grit their teeth and cover his ass. Nothing, of course, could be further from the truth.
ČSSD lost the last elections exactly because of this ambiguity: The party succumbed to the hysteria of the anti-refugee campaign, taking the absolutely absurd step of putting refugees from war zones into detention (i.e., prison) before deporting them to Germany, and elsewhere on the Social Democrats' watch, Czech police officers broke the law during the visit by the leader of the Chinese Communists to Prague. At the same time, the party verbally advocated human rights and introduced inclusion into the schools.
Which version of the party the voters are meant to choose between is something even Foldyna himself probably doesn't know - despite being such a know-it- all. Racism and other fatal deceptions must remain unacceptable, though, and must not cross the line into the realm of the "acceptable".
If we delete that line, then we say goodbye to democracy. The normal people in the ČSSD leadership need to realize this if they don't want to destroy not just their own party, but above all the values it used to represent here.
- Czech courts convict two people for racist online hate speech about newborn, three more are under investigation
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Fifteen anti-racist and Roma NGOs call on EU countries to commit to updating their Romani Integration Strategies after 2020
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- New comedy series on Czech public television to feature crude humor, racist remarks and vulgar language
- Slovakia: Four Romani girls and their mother die in house fire, police investigate racist comments about the news on their own Facebook page
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Czech court fines seven racists for approving of the murder of a Romani man, but one is appealing - for the publicity
- Germany: More than 200 000 people protest discrimination, neo-Nazism and racism
- A quarter of a century ago, 18 racists hounded a Romani man to death; the Czech courts convicted just three
- Racists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Czech Christian Democrats, SocDems want to stop the use of vouchers in material distress benefits
- Czech Social Democrats would withdraw controversial plan to further restrict housing benefits
- Czech Social Democrats revoke membership of one "trafficker in poverty" while ignoring another
- Czech students walk out of school to defend democracy, protest denial of Romani Holocaust
- Czech lower house refuses vote about denier of Romani genocide as vice-chair, Christian Democrats call for extraordinary session
- Czech Social Democratic head recommends removal of lower house vice-chair because of his deceptive remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- Czech Green Party co-chair wants Interior Ministry to dissolve the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" Movement
- Czech bureaucrat who compared Roma to jellyfish resigns from Social Democrats
- Czech Christian Democratic MEPs file criminal charges against Czech MP Okamura for defamation and harming their good name
- Christian Democrat chair says Czech Republic should have taken in 10 refugees more to avoid European Commission censure
- Czech MP who compared Muslim immigrants to "invasive species" will not be stripped of immunity from prosecution
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Hungarian Supreme Court: Romani children deserve financial compensation for school segregation
- Ukraine: Racists attack Romani family of four, setting fire to their home and threatening a pregnant woman with rape
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Commentary: CNN Prima begins its Czech-language broadcasting with stereotypes about Romani people
- Germany: AfD press spokesperson fired after claiming to be of "Aryan" origin and espousing fascism
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining