Czech Museum of Romani Culture unveils bust of Jozef Kmeťo, Romani journalist who died one year ago
A concrete bust of the late Romani journalist Jozef Kmeťo has been unveiled at the Museum of Romani Culture. He passed away last year from COVID-19 and just before his death broadcast a video warning others against the virus and calling on them to follow counter-pandemic measures.
Until his very last moments of life, Mr Kmeťo was an integral component of Romani-Slovak Internet journalism, just as he had been many years before. The bust was gifted to the museum by the Czechoslovak Romani Union.
Kmeťo was especially known as a blogger for the Slovak newspaper SME and its online server, where he published more than 140 pieces. He published a similar number on the Czech news server iDNES.cz.
He wrote about burning subject matter that was frequently unpleasant: Discrimination, racism, violence. He was not afraid to criticize his fellow Roma and also drew attention to iniquities within the Romani community itself.
His voice could also be heard through Redakcia R1, a Romani radio station of which he was the founder and operator. "Through what was often his own unique conception of journalism, Kmeťo influenced Romani people across the generations, according to his example many began establishing their own Internet radio stations and writing their own pieces, and we should never forget him for that reason alone," said Karel Karika, chair of the Czechoslovak Romani Union.
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Petr Uhl, dissident in communist Czechoslovakia, human rights defender and journalist, has passed away
- Controversial Romani figure appears with Czech extremists opposing measures to control the pandemic