Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
Czech Police have charged the man and woman accused of assaulting Romani children earlier this year in the town of Lipník nad Bečvou (Přerov district). The three felony counts include defamation of a nation, race, ethnic or other group of people.
If convicted, the accused face up to five years in prison. The incident happened at the beginning of April in the park of a local chateau.
Police say the duo attacked five Romani children, two of whom had to receive medical treatment in hospital after the incident. Police are continuing to work on the case, according to spokesperson Miluše Zajícová.
The case was initially investigated as a misdemeanor against civil coexistence but was later re-categorized as felony attempted battery and disorderly conduct. Eventually the duo was also charged with respect to the alleged racial motivation for their behavior.
"During the first 10 days of the month of May the Police Commissioner has begun the criminal prosecution of two persons, a man and a woman, who were accused of felony battery, disorderly conduct, and defamation of a nation, race, ethnic or other group of persons, for which the Criminal Code establishes a maximum punishment of five years in prison. The investigation in association with this incident is ongoing and therefore we will not be communicating any additional information about the case until it is closed," Zajícová said in an e-mail sent to news server Romea.cz.
The case happened on 7 April and the children's parents reported the incident to police. "Five children total are said to have been assaulted. The parents of two children arranged for them to be treated in hospital, where one child received a one-time examination and the other remained there for observation," the police spokesperson said previously.
News server Romea.cz reported that the man allegedly punched the children in the chest and face, and according to eyewitnesses he even kicked one child in the chest. A 14-year-old boy ended up in hospital with a concussion and a bruised back, one girl with injuries to the thoracic cavity, and a 12-year-old girl with spinal bruising and a broken nose, Romea.cz reported.
The incident sparked tensions in the town and police collaborated with the local council to calm the situation as well as with a specialist on Romani issues and a crime prevention assistant. Mayor Miloslav Přikryl called the attack an isolated incident.
At the time the mayor told the Czech News Agency that local police had increased their patrolling of what he called "problematic locations". Local representatives met with police, the Romani adviser, foot patrol units, the Social Affairs Department and Romani activists, according to the mayor.
That cooperation was confirmed to news server Romea.cz by field worker Ivan Kandráč. "I regularly communicate with some of the parents of the children who were assaulted. Regional Coordinator Renata Köttnerová is in contact with the liaison officer for ethnic minorities. The aim of the cooperation is to keep the Romani community informed and to prevent inter-ethnic tensions from growing," he told news server Romea.cz.
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Czech gunman who fired warning shots over Romani children at summer camp has his sentence reduced to a fine
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority found 13 cases of consumer discrimination last year - "No Roma, no young children..."
- Czech Public Defender of Rights: Segregating Romani children in the schools obstructs integration
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Magdalena Karvayová: Romani children in the Czech schools are still segregated, we can change that
- Czech Republic: Nationwide Talent 2018 competition for children from drop-in clubs holds its final show
- Czech Education Minister disagrees with free lunches for all primary schoolchildren
- Czech Public Defender of Rights recommends 10 measures to improve Romani integration into mainstream schools with non-Romani children
- US Embassy in Prague gives human rights award to Magdalena Karvayová for helping Romani children access quality education
- Czech amendment to school regulations is a step backward, actual needs of children to be ignored
- Analysis: Czech amendment to education decree opens room for more segregation of schoolchildren
- Czech Police have yet to take statements of 10 foreign students assaulted two weeks ago in Ostrava
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Czech courts give suspended sentence to man who fired warning shots at Romani children
- Czech Internet users celebrate the deaths of migrant children in Turkey
- Czech Police charge right-wing extremists who assaulted citizens of India
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Czech media again exaggerate assault incident, promote antigypsyist stereotypes
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Czech Republic: Romani boy assaulted on bus by ticket-checker gives interview to Romea.cz
- Czech attorney: Justice for online hate has been won in a case of racist assaults against two Romani brothers
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Scientists confirm COVID-19 evolved in nature
- Newsweek: Trump and other Western leaders are legitimizing Hungarian PM's anti-Roma campaign, according to human rights activists
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech court returns to case of hate speech online targeting non-"white" first-graders
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Germany: Xenophobic party apologizes for racist coloring book after sharp criticism
- Another victim of the German terrorist attack, a young man from Romania, is also from the Roma minority
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Young Romani woman was a victim of German shooting spree