Czech Republic: Parents of children who killed flamingo have apologized and will pay damages
The parents of the children who killed a flamingo at the zoo in Jihlava are willing to pay damages or work them off. Zoo director Eliška Kubíková informed the public of the developments in an interview with news server Lidovky.cz.
The incident happened on 10 March just after noon. Three schoolchildren between the ages of five and eight crawled through the fence at the Jihlava zoo and threw rocks at the flamingos.
The children were captured on video footage and flamingo breeders removed as many as 30 rocks from the flamingo area. "The fathers of all the children visited the zoo and apologized for the entire situation. We have agreed on financial compensation. They said they are prepared to pay off the damages. For the time being there is the will to resolve everything out of court," Kubíková said.
"They have offered to work off at least part of their 'debt'. We have not yet taken specific steps on that, because we have to arrange work tools and prepare for it. However, we are interested in that and we did not refuse it. It seems educational to us," the zoo director said.
The killing of the bird sparked a wave of reactions, with some people deciding they would organize a march about it. Later, however, they cancelled that plan over concerns that people would express racism and xenophobia during the march, as the children involved in the incident were Romani.
Kubíková said a march would not be the correct form of response. "We greatly appreciate that people want to support the zoo, or that they are at least presenting themselves as wanting to do so. However, I am not certain whether that is the correct form for expressing support or one that we would welcome. The biggest support to any zoo is to visit it. A march is not something we would want to organize," she said.
Instead of a march, there is supposed to be a public meeting with representatives of the town at the zoo or near it. "I would like to clarify the purpose of the meeting with the organizers, however, whether it actually will be about supporting the zoo, familiarizing the public with the importance of its mission, concentrating on the significance of the animals. If that is the main aim, we are 100 % for it," the zoo director said.
- Jana Šedivcová: Are all Czech children cat killers and all Romani children flamingo killers? Collective blame is unacceptable
- Children stone flamingo to death in zoo, Czech Internet users blame all Roma, protest march scheduled
- Czech Republic: Romani community organizes Christmas party for children's home in Jihlava
- Czech Republic: Workers' Youth extremists to complicate weekend in Jihlava
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech court to hear appeal in case of brutal assault by non-Romani adults on Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for hate posted about non-white first-graders: Not a joke, but the promotion of Nazism
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers' procedure was correct
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Hungarian court rules Romani children were discriminatorily institutionalized because of their origin and social status
- Czech welfare chauvinists call for abolition of inclusion, renewal of "special schools", and denial of welfare to "inadaptables"
- Czech Bar Association reprimands attorney for approving of "joke" calling for the gassing of non-white first-graders, he appeals
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Jaroslav Miko: Romani voters must cast their ballots for a democratic coalition, otherwise anti-Romani extremists may get into government
- Albanian comedy shows feature blackface, prejudice and stereotypes about Romani people
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician