Czech Republic: Residential hotel set on fire in Liberec
Late afternoon Sunday a residential hotel on U Kolory Street in Liberec caught fire. Residents were evacuated before firefighters arrived, no one was injured.
The blaze broke out in the attic, which was not occupied. Police believe it was either accidentally or intentionally set on fire.
Damages are estimated at half a million crowns minimum. Firefighters learned of the blaze at the approximately 20-room facility on Sunday at around 17:45.
"Flames are shooting through the roof," an operational commander in Liberec reported. The blaze deprived about 30 people of their housing and the Romodrom civic association, in collaboration with the town, has found them substitute accommodation.
"They will spend tonight at the Rosa residential hotel. The town is giving them confirmations for use with Adra and Red Cross so they can get some free clothing, that happened yesterday. They are receiving food from a food bank. The Romodrom association will arrange what happens next with them," said Zuzana Minstrová, spokesperson for the town hall.
The town has succeeded in contacting the owner of the residential hotel, who is from Prague. "He promised to come this week to determine the extent of the damage and attempt to resolve the situation," Minstrová said.
"If there is a need, the town is prepared to help find these people some substitute accommodation, even though legally that is the responsibility of the property owner," she said. The blaze Sunday burned through the roof of the three-story building, which is of course now uninhabitable.
The blaze started in the attic next to a chimney which doesn't work. Firefighters have ruled out any technical flaws as the cause.
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- German counter-intelligence head says right-wing extremism and terrorism are the country's biggest threat
- Czech town announces public collection to aid Romani family whose house caught fire last week
- House of Romani family in Czech Republic burns down: Arson, or unfortunate accident? Police are investigating
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- OSCE internship in Prague or Vienna, application deadline is 16 March
- Regional coalition of Romani representatives calls on Czech ombudsman to apologize for his remarks about Romani people
- Czech Republic: Romani-occupied residential hotel catches fire, young family loses everything, 12 suffer smoke inhalation
- Czech mayor castigates residential hotel evictees over their impending homelessness
- VIDEO: Attacks on Roma in Russia apparently continued with arson
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats