Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
Yesterday in Chomutov a vigil was held to honor the memory of a 34-year-old Romani man who was shot dead at about 3 AM. The suspected shooter was arrested by police at the scene and today it is anticipated that his criminal prosecution will begin and that a motion will be filed to remand him into custody on suspicion of murder.
Approximately 150 people, most of them Romani, assembled at the scene and, according to Renata Kováčová, a reporter for news server Romea.cz, the situation was very tense. "Police had removed the tape that had marked off the crime scene in the afternoon. About 20 minutes ago, i.e., just before the vigil was meant to begin, they taped the scene off again and are preventing the Romani people from lighting their candles at the scene," she described.
"The mourners are being to told to find another place to hold their vigil," Kováčová reported. After 6 PM, however, police began to allow Romani people to light candles in small groups there.
According to police spokesperson Daniel Vítek, the police needed to further inspect the scene to discover more clues regarding the incident. Closing off the space was not connected with the vigil, he said.
"During our investigation we acquired the information that some other clues important to the criminal proceedings might be found there," the spokesperson said. Technicians from the ballistics department, according to him, then found two more rounds in the taped-off area.
The tragic incident happened on Jirkovská Street in Chomutov at about 3 AM on Saturday, May 27. It began with an argument between two Romani men on the street.
A non-Romani man then came out of a nearby building and, apparently because he was upset about the noise on the street, began to shoot at the Romani men. One of them was then pronounced dead at the scene.
The police arrested the shooter, who is suspected of aggravated homicide. Today his prosecution is meant to begin and a motion to remand him into custody is supposed to be filed.
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Czech Police investigating shots fired at Romani summer camp and local police procedure
- Ida Kelarová on warning shots fired near Roma children at music camp: The Czech Police refused to help us
- Czech Republic: Romani gunshot victim gets two years for rioting
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Independent Romani candidate collecting signatures to run for Czech Senate
- German court sentences neo-Nazi to life in prison
- Greece: Man shoots dead 13-year-old Romani girl, allegedly over argument with her father
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- Slovakia: Two Romani children shot in Poprad, perpetrator not yet identified
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Hundreds commemorate Romani victims of WWII-era camp, criticize Czech politicians for Holocaust denial
Tags:Chomutov, Kriminalita, Pietní akce, shootings
Tomáš Ščuka: Romani people need competent representation first and foremost, not Romani representation at all costs1.8.2018 10:04
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.