Edita Stejskalová: Czech PM has decided not to establish the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs
On 2 May 2019, Edita Stejskalová, a member of the Czech Government Council on Romani Minority Affairs and political scientist, was interviewed by Patrik Banga for ROMEA TV. "A condition for receiving further financial resources from the EU is the National Romani Integration Strategy, and that fact gives Romani people a chance to get involved and to pressure the Government on certain issues, because there has to be a Strategy for the money to be allocated," she said.
The interview also discusses the importance of the role of the Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner (Czech MP Helena Válková was officially nominated to the post after this interview aired) the participation of Romani people in the public arena, and the attempt to institute the post of Commissioner for Romani Affairs. The video first aired without English subtitles on 2 May; to access subtitles in English, click on the gear icon.
- Romani community member Edita Stejskalová recognized for her political engagement in the Czech Republic
- Edita Stejskalová calls on Czech Govt to create the position of Commissioner for Romani Affairs
- Edita Stejskalová: OSCE should send observer missions to Ukraine regarding pogroms against Roma and monitor the police investigation
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- In twist of fate, new Public Defender of Rights sworn in by chair of ultranationalist party
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"
- Czech media reports Human Rights Commissioner co-authored communist-era paper alleging Roma are predetermined to commit crimes