Jaroslav Miko: We are threatened not just by the aggressive policies and hybrid attacks of Russia, but by Czech "patriots" falling for Russian propaganda
Regarding the events surrounding Russia and its possible further aggression, among other matters, it really scares me how many Czech citizens who, moreover, call themselves true "patriots", are uncritically accepting one of Vladimir Putin's demands, namely, that no further NATO military exercises take place in Central and Eastern Europe and that all Allied forces be withdrawn from here.
Leaving aside the fact that Russia itself is militarily engaged in Belarus, intervening militarily in Kazakhstan, and occupying parts of the territories of Ukraine, Georgia and Moldova, it scares me that this Russian demand is acknowledged and welcomed by many Czechs.
I might understand the efforts of these people to call for a referendum about our membership in NATO (although I am personally grateful for that membership), but for them to be enjoying the fact that some foreign state, in this case, Russia, is making demands that would limit our own sovereignty, our own self-determination - that is really alarming for me.
We were quite lucky that the most recent elections to Parliament turned out as they did. We may not be that lucky next time. If the coalition governing today makes major mistakes politically, then I have no illusions about the current thinking of a large part of Czech society.
In short, not only is Russia itself threatening us with its aggressive policies and hybrid attacks on our territory, but our democracy and freedom are also threatened by our own fellow citizens who are falling for Russian propaganda and cannot appreciate the fact that we live in a free country today.
Realizing this really makes me very uneasy.
In any case, it is now necessary that the western world, of which we are a part today, not give in at all to Putin's Russia and its bold demands, because this Russia is not capable of reaching any real agreement.
This Russia can only threaten and does not respect the rights of its own citizens or international law. We must ever give in to evil!
Just for the sake of completeness: I spent several long years in Russia. I would send Czech Russophiles there for a six-month "curative" stay. I suspect many of them would sober up right away.
- In Russian debut, Romani kickboxer Sivák of the Czech Republic brilliantly delivers victory over Russian fighter Mikhailov
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Russia calls for investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš after intervention by police in Teplice
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic
- Disinformation about COVID-19 in Czech first spread from Russian server, according to new analysis
- EU reports that Russia has launched a disinformation campaign about COVID-19
- Russia designates Czech aid group People in Need an "undesirable organization"
- Czech counter-intelligence disrupted Russian hacker spies and Hezbollah network, warns ultra-right targeting of Muslims could contribute to radicalization
- Russia: Mayor says 900 Romani residents relocated after fatal conflict - but were they forced to?
- VIDEO: Attacks on Roma in Russia apparently continued with arson
- Russia: Youth conflict sparks bloodshed, attempted pogrom against Roma has fatal outcome
- Commentary: Czech ultra-right politicians singing in harmony, and Russia likes it
- Russian military television grossly exaggerates Czech turnout for anti-EU demonstration
- Facebook closes some disinformation pages covertly associated with Russia
- Russian social network blocks "Miss Hitler" beauty contest after Israeli media contact
- Russia: The World Cup begins with concerns about homophobia, racism, and violence
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- Commentary: Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner declares her strong opposition to racially-motivated differential treatment of refugees, calls for solidarity
- Czech Senate adopts resolution condemning the Public Defender of Rights for repeatedly making biased, xenophobic remarks
- Czech capital and Government to "investigate" measures to motivate refugees from Ukraine to relocate from "overloaded" places
- USA: Racist murderer in Buffalo, New York charged with hate crimes, faces death penalty
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Image of a Romani woman allegedly beaten up by Ukrainians is going viral, Czech police say they are investigating a reported robbery
- Czech NGO quarterly newsletter about foreign nationals focuses on the situation in Ukraine and refugees in the Czech Republic
- Czech region asks Central Crisis Team to build refugee camp at the border, Romani children and women who are refugees from Ukraine evicted from private accommodation into refugee facilities
- Czech Consortium of NGOs Working with Migrants: Nonprofits are aiding refugees without financing from the state and are substituting for what the state itself should be doing
- Czech analyst compares disinformation purveyors to the untrustworthy sellers of overpriced cookware
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers