LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
On Sunday, 2 August, a commemorative ceremony for European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day will take place at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, beginning at noon with the Czech national anthem and the hymn of the Romani prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps. After the laying of floral offerings at the monument, there will be a spiritual reflection and cultural program.
On this occasion, the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic (VPORH) will give its annual Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert for her longstanding activity in defense of human rights, especially those of the Romani women who have been forcibly sterilized in the former Czechoslovakia and Czech Republic. ROMEA TV will broadcast the commemorative ceremony live online.
"As a consequence of these exceptional times we were forced this year to move our annual commemorative ceremony at the Lety Cultural Heritage Memorial, which is usually held on 13 May, to 2 August. We have chosen this date because we will be remembering what happened at Auschwitz-Birkenau in what was called the Zigeunerlager there," said Čeněk Růžička, the chair of the VPORH.
"During the night of 2 August and morning of 3 August, 76 years ago, German Nazis murdered upwards of 3 000 Romani men, women and children in the gas chambers there," the VPORH chair recalled. The event is being convened by VPORH with the support of the Czech Culture Ministry, the Foundation for Holocaust Victims, and the Museum of Romani Culture.
The ceremony will be held at the Lety Cultural Heritage Memorial, where some victims of the concentration camp were buried in unmarked graves during the war. You can find information about free transportation options to the event here.
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted
- Forced sterilizations in Europe and the USA and their consequences for today
- Czech state may finally compensate forced sterilization victims
- Elena Gorolová: Some of the forced sterilization victims have died, but we are still fighting for compensation
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Czech Republic: Forced sterilization will be focus of academic and public discussions
- Czech and Slovak Victims of Coercive Sterilization Await Justice
- Czech researcher at Romani genocide commemoration: Compensate the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Elena Gorolová on forced sterilizations: We seek compensation, nobody will ever restore our motherhood
- Czech Republic: Romani women forced to undergo sterilization tell their stories through theater
- OSCE/ODIHR Event to Focus on Justice and Redress to Roma Victims of Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST from Prague: "Leperiben. My nezapomínáme."- "We Will Never Forget." - Commemoration of the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Demolition of the defunct industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic has begun, memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti is one step closer
- Photos and video from the symbolic demolition of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE ONLINE 22 JULY: Grand launch of the demolition of the industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- World-renowned pianist Tomáš Kačo performs in Prague as part of the KHAMORO World Roma Festival
- Demolition of industrial pig farm located on the site of former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma to begin so Czech Republic can build new memorial
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech town unveils 15 "Stones of the Disappeared" to honor Holocaust victims
- Czech ex-lawmaker gets six months, suspended for one year, for his remark about the WWII-era concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku