Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
Until 2 June, the official website of the District Committee of the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM) in Frýdek-Místek, Czech Republic, which is linked to the national party's main website, featured a racist post entitled "Government Approves Gypsy Integration Plan" (Vláda schválila plán integrace Cikánů) that was brought to the attention of news server Romea.cz by one of our readers. The piece, published on 24 May without listing an author or referencing any sources of information, reported on the approval of the Roma Strategy 2021-2030 and commented on it in an openly racist way.
The anonymous article featured the following defamatory allegations: "Cikáni - the slackers and parasites of the Czech nation", "Those who do honest work all their lives and pay taxes will have to allow a cíkán or cikánka who has never worked to cut in line ahead of them at the unemployment office?", or "Cikánské children (not all of them) sometimes ended up in 'special' classes because of their poor upbringing, their aggression, their lower intellect, being less able to grasp material and learn. That was not the fault of the majority society, but the historical 'nature' of cikánské children and especially the absolutely insufficient care and upbringing of them by their cikánský parents when they were of preschool age."
The piece is likely to have first spread as a chain e-mail, because at the end the author calls on readers to "pass the message on", and its wording is obviously similar to the commentaries authored by the racist Jiří Maria Sieber, whose Facebook posts in that vein were once shared as an article in 2017 by the Parlamentní listy tabloid. Martin Kalous, administrator of the KSČM website, investigated the article at the request of news server Romea.cz.
On 2 June, Kalous reported the following: "I've found out how things work at the Frýdek-Místek cell with the website. Unfortunately, many people have access to the site who do not know what should or should not be published there on behalf of the party."
"Almost all of those people are older and nobody checks on the site. That piece about Romani people goes far beyond the line of what is acceptable," Kalous told Romea.cz.
"It was probably copied from a private website, because it could not have been published by the big news portals. The article has been deleted," Kalous informed Romea.cz.
"On behalf of the KSČM we apologize and nothing of the sort will happen again," the website administrator said. News server Romea.cz also pointed out that the Frýdek-Místek cell's website also features hoaxes about the dangers of being vaccinated against COVID-19 or the disinfomation that the COVID-19 virus is disseminated through 5G networks.
"The lady who uploaded that and published disinformation about vaccines has been thoroughly warned not to do that again and she no longer has access to the website," Kalous told Romea.cz. As of the evening of 2 June, those articles were still accessible both on the website and on the Facebook page of the Frýdek-Místek Communist Party cell.
- February marks the 62nd anniversary of communist Czechoslovakia forcibly sedentarizing Romani people
- Czech lower house will not discuss accepting unaccompanied minor refugees - ANO, Communists, SocDems and ultra-nationalists opposed it
- Czech Communist Party chair alleges pork is expensive because the farm on the former concentration camp for Roma was closed, but statistics show he is lying
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Štefan Horvát: Okamura should not lead the lower house, Communists have harmed and are harming Roma, Czech Justice Minister should stay
- TOMORROW: "Happening" at Prague memorial to Czechoslovak politician executed on false charges by the communist regime calls for preservation of Human Rights Minister post
- Czech Republic: Low turnout in socially excluded localities, but ANO, Communists and Okamura scored there
- Germany: Right-wing extremism in the east connected to communist rule, study says
- Czech Govt to open memorial at Hodonín camp next year honoring its WWII, post-war and Communist-era victims
- Czech Republic: Former political prisoners honor the memory of victims of communism
- Commentary by František Kostlán: Why I am an anti-communist
- Czech expert: Education about communism and Nazism should focus on root causes
- Communist Party joins protests against Czech authorities over Nový Bydžov
- 50.1 % of Czechs want to ban the Communist Party, 40 % do not
- Head of former political prisoners group: Communist and Nazi crimes are "parallel evils"
- Czech Television: Special team looking into banning the Communist Party
- Czech Foreign Minister: Denial of communist crimes like denial of Nazi crimes
- Posting a declaration to Facebook DOES NOT mean they cannot use your photographs and videos
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Facebook users including Romani community in Czech Republic falling for Canadian HOAX about alleged arrest of pharma exec
- Czech DISINFORMATION: Alleged "Nurse from a Brno ICU" railing against vaccination, Petra Fajmonová Rédová, is not employed by any hospital in Brno
- Czech Communist Party chair: Roma aren't denied rights by any laws, our system doesn't allow it, and most Roma don't declare their nationality
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond