Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
A very strange classified advertisement about an apartment for lease has been posted to Czech-language social media and Jiří Mária Sieber, an occasional politician, film extra, real estate broker and racist, is its author. "This apartment is for decent tenants. The unit is inappropriate for graduates of Harvard University and Louis Vuitton models," the classified ad states.
Petra Gelbart, a Czech Romani woman with a doctorate from Harvard who lives with her family in New York, called to ask what the landlord meant by that reference and also made a video of her side of their two-and-a-half minute conversation. She ascertained that Sieber had chosen those words to refer to "all Cikáni" and that it was exactly he who posted the obviously discriminatory ad.
"Don't you get it? It's absolutely clear. All Cikáni post to their Facebook pages that they have graduated from Harvard University and that they are Louis Vuitton models, and because that's not true, I don't want people like that," Sieber explained to the surprised Gelbart, who then asked him whether she could lease the apartment even though she actually does a doctorate from Harvard in musicology.
"I am a Romani woman, though," Gelbart told him. "Then that's even worse," Sieber responded and went on to explain what he believes the word "Rom" refers to.
Speaking to news server Romea.cz about the conversation, Gelbart said: "The fact that Romani people are so coarsely, consistently discriminated against in the area of housing is known to just about anybody who personally knows a Romani family. This subject is even more pressing, at least for me, in the middle of this pandemic."
"One of the reasons why thousands of people have already died of coronavirus in my neighborhood here in New York is that, according to several analyses, immigrants with low incomes cannot afford the kind of housing that would give them enough space to self-isolate in. When I saw this discriminatory classified ad on Facebook about an apartment in Most, it may have provoked me more than at any other time, and I decided to give this gentleman a taste of his own medicine," she told Romea.cz.
"My children and I visited Most for the first time last year, and the first thing that impressed me about the experience, although it decidedly did not surprise me, was that the entire Romani neighborhood we visited was in no way similar to the classic photos of 'Roma from Most' that are always taken in the locales that look the worst. Everywhere we went was clean," Gelbart said.
"What the landlord said to me, absolutely without any shame, about that apartment during our phone call is so absurd that it may not be worth discussing his pseudo-arguments. I wanted to demonstrate to my children that the best thing to do is to laugh at such people," Gelbart said.
"However, in reality I'm not laughing. When will the governments in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and other countries address the fact that this is why a Romani person has scant chance of leasing housing on the open market?" Gelbart asked.
Jiří Mária Sieber is a famous racist character from northern Bohemia. In the past he has disseminated several anti-Romani hoaxes, and in 2019 he supported the local political faction connected to the Krušnohor housing cooperative, Mostečané Mostu ("Mosters for Most"), which campaigned on the idea of wanting to build a "village for the riff-raff".
- Czech media falsely accuse Romani mourners of breaking the law after cemetery employee calls police
- Milan Kotlár: Our Romani restaurant in Český Krumlov is closed, Czech state support will not rescue us
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister has plan to re-open social services
- Vice-Chair of Czech Govt Council for Roma Minority Affairs wants to hear what Romani entrepreneurs need to respond to the effects of the pandemic
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- Interview with Romani man in Czech Republic recovering from COVID-19: This was not like the flu
- Czech Labor Minister tells ROMEA TV the crucial priority is to prevent mass unemployment because of COVID-19
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Romani and non-Romani figures from the Czech Republic send greetings on International Romani Day: But bacht the sasťipen!
- Civil society: The Czech state is not fully implementing its Roma integration policy
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Incoming Czech Chief Public Health Officer apologizes to Romani people for racist joke
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Czech court hears defamation case against man who insulted a member of the Govt's Roma Council in the media
- Czech Police charge two men for publishing racist content about mass killing last year, Pirate Party and ROMEA filed reports against them
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram