Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
After a difficult illness, one of the most significant figures in the Romani community, Jozef Facuna, passed away surrounded by his beloved family and friends on 16 October 2019 at the age of 62. After the 1989 Velvet Revolution, Mr Facuna began to actively contribute to improving the position of the Romani nation and established a firm to employ Romani community members.
Mr Facuna also contributed to sports activities. He was the first person in the Czech Republic to establish a football club called FC Roma and together with others also established a hockey club for Romani children in Ostrava, his home town.
Mr Facuna was also involved in the education of Romani people by supporting the Romani Student Movement (Hnutí romských studentů), for example. He was a big fighter against drugs and harshly criticized those who sold them.
Mr Facuna participated in political discussions with members of the Government of the Czech Republic, MPs, or representatives of Regional Authorities, municipalities and municipal departments. He was a member of different commissions and ran for the Czech Senate in 1996.
As a person Mr Facuna did everything he could for his family and for the Romani community. He greatly appreciated his friends and did his best to change the coexistence between the majority society and Romani people for the better.
Mr Facuna was a great, strong figure whose life cannot be described in just one page - it would take an entire book to do so. Recently he suffered health problems and was surrounded by those closest to him, his entire family whom he loved more than anything else.
Mr Facuna loved his family with his entire heart. Up to the last day before he passed away his most trusted friend, Vladimír Leško, was by his side, as well as his beloved family - his wife Naďa, his daughter Nikola, his daughter Naďa-Kali, his son-in-law Vladimír, his grandson Leo, Miroslav Holub, and others from the family whom he loved above all else.
Mr Facuna was a legend in the Romani community of Ostrava, we Roma bid him farewell and we will never forget his benefaction and his love. Francur aš Devlesa o Del tusa amen.
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Eva Davidová, an ethnographer who loved Romani people, has passed away
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani broadcaster and educator Hilda Pášová has passed away
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
- Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Macedonia: The Queen of Romani Music, Esma Redžepova, has passed away
- Valery Novoselsky, Romani activist and founder of the Roma Virtual Network, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author and journalist Gejza Demeter has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani author Andrej Giňa has passed away
- Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved Jewish children from the Holocaust, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani actor and musician Milan Šenki ("Korytár") has passed away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani musician proposed for Czech state honors
- Martin Mata: Save your money, the pandemic will have an overwhelming economic impact
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- Romani doctor in the Czech Republic: This work is enormously meaningful during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- Anna Šabatová's term as Czech Public Defender of Rights ends: "I did what was within my power to do"