Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
The Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák has won the title of champion in the national classical boxing championship in the Czech Republic. After the 21-year-old scored an international success in the finals of the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020, he has won yet another title on the domestic boxing scene.
Excellent boxers from all over the Czech Republic fought for the championship title in the town of Česká Lípa in eight weight categories. "It won't be easy because I'm not a classical boxer, but I'm giving it my all," Sivák posted to his Facebook profile ahead of the championship.
At the time, Sivák did not know he would be bringing home the belt for the best boxer in the weight category of 69 kilograms and under. The prestigious sports server FightNews.cz, which reports on martial arts, posted its announcment of Sivák's success with the following remark: "Will this supertalent get a chance to show what he can do at big events as well, or will the promoters keep ignoring him?"
The match was the second time in the history of the championship in the Czech Republic that amateurs and professional boxers have competed together. As many as 16 boxers were able to start in each weight category.
The competition was run according to Olympic boxing rules. The victors will be able to fight their way through to competing on the Czech Olympic boxing team.
Olympic boxing is a discipline in which each match involves just three rounds of three minutes each, which is more attractive for audiences. At the same time, the boxers have just one match a day and are weighed each morning.
Over the course of the four-day championship, the best athletes will get to box in all 12 matches. Last year Sivák became world champion in amateur kickboxing in his weight category at the WAKO championship.
- Czech millionaire goes undercover as part of new reality show, volunteers at Romani boxing club, then surprises them with a donation
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- International Romani amateur boxing match won by team from Slovakia
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Republic: Boxing club gets boys and girls off the streets of excluded localities
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- UK Boxing Board of Control suspends Tyson Fury, fighter with Irish Traveller roots relinquishes remaining titles to get sober
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Czech football club Sparta has identified the fans who shouted racist insults at Monaco player, filed a crime report against them and banned them from stadiums
- "Kamara - just a n****r" - Czech Police looking for football fans who published racist banner
- Romani player on Czech futsal team says he responds to racism by playing even better
- Czech town installs brass tablets in pavement to remember the tragic wartime fate of its Jewish residents
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic defeats competitor after 90 seconds
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Romani kickboxer wins quarter-final of cage match on Czech-Slovak OKTAGON MMA show, withdraws after injury
- Chess player, age 11, is a Romani talent from Slovakia who is defeating adult competitors
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there