Romani kickboxer wins quarter-final of cage match on Czech-Slovak OKTAGON MMA show, withdraws after injury
Václav Sivák, the Romani community member who has represented the Czech Republic to become the amateur kickbox world champion, made his first appearance yesterday evening in a cage match organized the mixed martial arts (MMA) show produced by the OKTAGON pay per view channel in a show called "UNDERGROUND: Last man standing". Eight fighters competed for victory in what the show calls a pyramid.
Although Sivák won the quarter-final, he had to withdraw from the rest of the competition due to injuries. In an interview for OKTAGON TV after winning against British contestant Bailey Sugden, he said: "I was determined to win the pyramid and show I'm made of. I've got three stitches, an injured foot, and unfortunately I have to withdraw."
Sivák then posted to social media that the main reason he withdrew was because of the stitches in his eyebrow. He also left the match with a bruised hand.
"This is the most feared sports challenge of all time. The eight-sided pyramid concept takes us back to the very basis of martial arts. In order for a fighter to become the champion, he must defeat three competitors in a row during a single evening," said Ondřej Novotný, the owner and promoter of OKTAGON, on the OktagonMMA.cz server.
At the age of 20, Sivák became the 2019 world champion of the contests organized by the World Association of Kickboxing Organizations and is the world number one in amateur kickboxing. At the end of 2020 he also became the Czech Republic's champion in classical boxing.
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- Czech millionaire goes undercover as part of new reality show, volunteers at Romani boxing club, then surprises them with a donation
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- England: Czech emigré of Romani origin establishes boxing team for children from the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- UK boxer of Irish Traveller origin Tyson Fury met his fans in Prague
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin to compete next week at MMA gala in Prague
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Interview with Czech and European kickbox champion from the Romani community, Václav Sivák
- Czech Republic: Boxing club gets boys and girls off the streets of excluded localities
- Romani boxer represents Czech Republic, takes bronze in European Junior Championship
- Bizarre Czech mixed martial arts pay-per-view program "Clash of the Stars" features fighter with criminal record who spouts antigypsyist rhetoric
- Czech analyst compares disinformation purveyors to the untrustworthy sellers of overpriced cookware
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák unequivocally wins the Oktagon Underground MMA fight in a packed O2 Arena in the Czech Republic
- Tyson Fury, a.k.a. "The Gypsy King", again defends his boxing title as world champion
- In Russian debut, Romani kickboxer Sivák of the Czech Republic brilliantly delivers victory over Russian fighter Mikhailov
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Jan Cina wins Czech Television's StarDance 2021 competition with Adriana Mašková
- Final round of "Czechia Slovakia Has Talent" to broadcast this weekend, Romani family act makes the finals
- Dominik Oračko, Romani weightlifter, given regional honor in the Czech Republic
- Pope Francis receives Romani footballers, including Jaroslav Horváth and Lukáš Pulko of the Czech Republic, ahead of friendly match
- Romani kickboxer Václav Sivák of the Czech Republic wins again, holds the international WAKO Pro title a second time
- Czech MMA fighter Cverna challenges bodybuilder who insulted Romani people