COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon
The Czech Health Ministry tweeted this morning that the Czech Republic is stopping incoming flights from Great Britain as of noon today. Flights from there are also being cancelled by other European states because of a new mutation that has appeared in Britain of the virus that causes COVID-19, detected in southern England, that experts say is able to spread much faster than other strains.
People arriving to the Czech Republic from Great Britain have had to undergo compulsory home quarantine as of yesterday. "As of 12:00 no airplanes from Great Britain are allowed to land in the Czech Republic. Incoming flights from that destination have been halted," the ministry tweeted today.
According to the information available on the website of Václav Havel Airport in Prague, four flights from London are meant to land here today, the first at 10:15 and the other three after noon - although all flights from Britain to the Czech Republic will be banned from landing then. People who have spent at least 24 hours in Britain currently are obligated to quarantine upon arrival.
People in quarantine will undergo a PCR test for the COVID-19 disease caused by the virus anywhere from the fifth to the seventh day after arriving in the Czech Republic. If they test negative at that point, they will be able to leave quarantine.
Those who test positive will be required to isolate at home for the full 10 days of quarantine. "Given the risk associated with the new mutation of the virus that has been proven to exist in Great Britain, as of today we are introducing compulsory home quarantine for anybody who spent at least 24 hours there during the last 14 days and is currently arriving in the Czech Republic," the Czech Health Ministry tweeted yesterday.
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš announced yesterday evening that the Government would be discussing banning flights from Great Britain today. "In cabinet we certainly will be discussing whether to ban incoming flights, just as we did for flights from Italy during the first wave... Some countries have already done this, I personally have no problem with it," he said.
Great Britain had already been assigned to the most dangerous group of "red" countries on the Czech Health Ministry's so-called travel traffic light system. People who have spent more than 12 hours in such countries during the last 14 days must complete a form upon arrival to the Czech Republic and undergo a test for COVID-19 or provide results from a test taken abroad.
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- Bulgarian COVID-19 pandemic measures have closed Romani neighborhoods, causing job losses and food shortages
- Czech Health Ministry to refute disinformation about the COVID-19 pandemic next year
- Slovenian scandal when weekly close to PM says God sent COVID-19 to "protect whites from corruption"
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech celebrations of 17 November will mostly be online, ultra-right plans to protest COVID-19 measures in the streets
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- UK quarantine for travelers arriving from Czech Republic begins tomorrow
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Romani organizations write to Czech Industry and Trade Minister: Roma must be part of the National Plan for Renewal
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Renáta Plachetková: EU citizens without settled status as of 30 June in the UK will be deported
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation