Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
Deutsche Welle reports that Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, an ultra-right populist, instructed regional authorities this week to produce maps of what he called "illegal settlements" inhabited by Romani people around the country. The data is meant to serve as the basis for conducting his previously-announced "census" of the Roma.
That "census" is then meant to create the background material for the process of deporting all Roma who are not originally from Italy. German MEP Romeo Franz, who is himself of Romani origin, sharply objected to Salvini's current policies yesterday as racist.
Salvini issued the order on Tuesday for regional authorities to prepare "a report on the presence of settlements of Roma, Sinti and other itinerants" for the ministry within two weeks. Franz expressed his objections from the floor of the European Parliament.
"Salvini wants to implement expulsion of Romani people on the basis of their ethnicity. That is illegal," he said during plenary session.
"We all know who did such things in the past and what aims they were pursuing. Salvini will be ejecting innocent people onto the street," Franz said.
"I am calling on the European Parliament to express itself in far stronger terms against antigypsyism and to take action against antigypsyists, including Salvini. His policy is an attack on European values, it is a disgrace for Europe, it is racism," the MEP said.
According to the Council of Europe, about 120 000 - 180 000 Roma and Sinti live in Italy, more than half of whom are fully integrated into mainstream society. The Italian organization Associazione 21 Luglio says that in 2017 about 26 000 people from these groups were living in emergency shelters or encampments.
- Italy: Almost 1 000 Roma and Sinti march in Milan on Romani Resistance Day
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Italian theater cancels neo-Fascist concert co-opting Czechoslovak historical figure, so it moves from Verona to Lazis
- Italian Senator who compared his colleague to an "orangutan" has been convicted
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Czech students protest co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure in Italy
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- Czechoslovak Legionnaires on the Italian front - Romani fighters and their sad fates
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- Assistant to Czech MP fined for calling for migrants to be shot, he may appeal
- Regional candidate for newest Czech party featured in music video by infamous establisher of neo-Nazi movement
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech Television reports that elected politicians' names have been removed from official report on extremism for 2019
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Czech Police charge author of antigypsyist article about arson for that and other offenses
- Czech NGO ROMEA and vice-chair of Pirates file criminal report over online racist commentaries about arson in Bohumín
- Czech mayor claims all those number 8's in her event have noooothing to do with neo-Nazis
- Germany reorganizes special military unit because some of its personnel are members of the ultra-right
- Russia claims to be "concerned" about the very neo-Nazis they support in the Czech Republic