Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
Deutsche Welle reports that Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini, an ultra-right populist, instructed regional authorities this week to produce maps of what he called "illegal settlements" inhabited by Romani people around the country. The data is meant to serve as the basis for conducting his previously-announced "census" of the Roma.
That "census" is then meant to create the background material for the process of deporting all Roma who are not originally from Italy. German MEP Romeo Franz, who is himself of Romani origin, sharply objected to Salvini's current policies yesterday as racist.
Salvini issued the order on Tuesday for regional authorities to prepare "a report on the presence of settlements of Roma, Sinti and other itinerants" for the ministry within two weeks. Franz expressed his objections from the floor of the European Parliament.
"Salvini wants to implement expulsion of Romani people on the basis of their ethnicity. That is illegal," he said during plenary session.
"We all know who did such things in the past and what aims they were pursuing. Salvini will be ejecting innocent people onto the street," Franz said.
"I am calling on the European Parliament to express itself in far stronger terms against antigypsyism and to take action against antigypsyists, including Salvini. His policy is an attack on European values, it is a disgrace for Europe, it is racism," the MEP said.
According to the Council of Europe, about 120 000 - 180 000 Roma and Sinti live in Italy, more than half of whom are fully integrated into mainstream society. The Italian organization Associazione 21 Luglio says that in 2017 about 26 000 people from these groups were living in emergency shelters or encampments.
- Italy: Almost 1 000 Roma and Sinti march in Milan on Romani Resistance Day
- Italian authorities investigate 65 neo-Fascists in Rome after anti-Roma protests
- Italian theater cancels neo-Fascist concert co-opting Czechoslovak historical figure, so it moves from Verona to Lazis
- Italian Senator who compared his colleague to an "orangutan" has been convicted
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Czech students protest co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure in Italy
- Italian Deputy PM Salvini is behaving like a neo-Fascist, former Italian Labor Minister says
- Czechoslovak Legionnaires on the Italian front - Romani fighters and their sad fates
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- Italian Police evict almost 400 Romani people from homes they have lived in since 2005, European Commission says it cannot take legal action
- German media report that attacks on immigrants last year in Chemnitz were planned by the radical right
- Slovak MP insulted Romani people and spread xenophobia, loses his seat after being convicted of felony defamation
- Commentary: Czech Interior Ministry is realizing ultra-nationalist politician is becoming a monster
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- Italian Police raid ultra-right extremists, confiscate air-to-air missile from Qatar
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Commentary: Czech President spouts reassuring nonsense to ultra-nationalists
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- Czech Police, prosecutors intensively focus on online haters, number of prosecutions rising
- VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people