VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
Representatives of Romani people from Belgium, France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the UK were scheduled to demonstrate together in front of the European Parliament at 11 AM today. News server ROMEA TV has been broadcasting the demonstration and press conference live online.
Those protesting are bothered by the fact that EU money sent to the Member States to combat poverty is ending up being pocketed by private individuals while the situations of tens of thousands of Roma living in poverty are not changing at all. They are also pointing out the growing radicalization of European society and warning against the racial hatreds to which ethnic Roma have been subjected very often in the past.
Those who organized the demonstration are proposing the establishment of a Romani Congress to which Romani representatives from all EU Member States would be elected. Already-recorded segments of the demonstration are accessible here below.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency to publish results of research with Roma and Travellers in six EU Member States
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- European Parliamentary delegation plans to visit Romani settlements in Slovakia
- Iulius Rostas: Operationalizing the concept of anti-Gypsyism for policy design
- Commentary: Time for a European Union Army
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Czech PM says Government will not change the financing conditions for nonprofits drawing EU money
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair