VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
Representatives of Romani people from Belgium, France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the UK were scheduled to demonstrate together in front of the European Parliament at 11 AM today. News server ROMEA TV has been broadcasting the demonstration and press conference live online.
Those protesting are bothered by the fact that EU money sent to the Member States to combat poverty is ending up being pocketed by private individuals while the situations of tens of thousands of Roma living in poverty are not changing at all. They are also pointing out the growing radicalization of European society and warning against the racial hatreds to which ethnic Roma have been subjected very often in the past.
Those who organized the demonstration are proposing the establishment of a Romani Congress to which Romani representatives from all EU Member States would be elected. Already-recorded segments of the demonstration are accessible here below.
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Kosovo: Demonstrators call for investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody in Teplice
- Roma Lives Matter demo in Czech capital hears eyewitness testimony that Stanislav Tomáš was carried motionless on a stretcher into the ambulance
- European capitals see unprecedented wave of solidarity with Czech Roma and protests over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech capital to see demonstration for Stanislav Tomáš today expressing disagreement with police intervention and support for local community
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- EU Commission: States have to show improvement for Roma if they expect to draw funding