VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
Representatives of Romani people from Belgium, France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the UK were scheduled to demonstrate together in front of the European Parliament at 11 AM today. News server ROMEA TV has been broadcasting the demonstration and press conference live online.
Those protesting are bothered by the fact that EU money sent to the Member States to combat poverty is ending up being pocketed by private individuals while the situations of tens of thousands of Roma living in poverty are not changing at all. They are also pointing out the growing radicalization of European society and warning against the racial hatreds to which ethnic Roma have been subjected very often in the past.
Those who organized the demonstration are proposing the establishment of a Romani Congress to which Romani representatives from all EU Member States would be elected. Already-recorded segments of the demonstration are accessible here below.
- Germany: 9.5 year sentence for murder that sparked demonstrations last year, convicted suspect insists he did not do it
- Czech Finance Ministry proposes all EU financing for social projects be provided ex-post, which could cut nonprofits off from those resources
- Czech man who gave Nazi salute at ultra-nationalist rally gets fine and suspended sentence, appeals
- Tomáš Ščuka: The strengths and weaknesses of the Brussels demonstration by Romani Europeans
- EP's committee on social issues to be led by Slovak MEP Ďuriš Nicholsonová, Czech MEP Zdechovský is a vice-chair
- Italian PM wants to deport Roma, MEP Romeo Franz calls his behavior racism and the shame of Europe
- MEP Romeo Franz tells Romani demonstrators in Brussels: Politicians must consider us Roma equal partners
- Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
- EU anti-fraud authority Hungarian program for Roma supported by EU funds has never worked and should be investigated
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- Romani celebrity Radek Banga tells 300 000 demonstrators in the Czech capital: This is not just a handful of people!
- Man who gave Nazi salute at anti-EU demonstration in Czech capital fined and given suspended sentence