VIDEO: Brussels demonstration by Romani people
Representatives of Romani people from Belgium, France, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the UK were scheduled to demonstrate together in front of the European Parliament at 11 AM today. News server ROMEA TV has been broadcasting the demonstration and press conference live online.
Those protesting are bothered by the fact that EU money sent to the Member States to combat poverty is ending up being pocketed by private individuals while the situations of tens of thousands of Roma living in poverty are not changing at all. They are also pointing out the growing radicalization of European society and warning against the racial hatreds to which ethnic Roma have been subjected very often in the past.
Those who organized the demonstration are proposing the establishment of a Romani Congress to which Romani representatives from all EU Member States would be elected. Already-recorded segments of the demonstration are accessible here below.
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Bulgaria: Scandal over EU-financed training to detect alleged "radicalization" of Roma, activists say money was used to boost anti-Romani sentiment
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- As US protests continue against police murder, ROMEA recalls 2016 case of Romani man who died in police custody under circumstances like George Floyd
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- European Roma Grassroots Organisations network to European Commission: Member States don't find discrimination a priority