VIDEO: World commemorates 70th anniversary of liberation of Auschwitz
Approximately 300 former prisoners and the representatives of 42 countries, including 12 Presidents, several crowned heads of state and half a dozen Prime Ministers are marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi extermination camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau by the Soviet Army with a gathering at what was once the "Gate of Death". The commemoration is being attended by French President François Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck, Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, while Russia (at odds with the Western world over the conflict in Ukraine) will be represented by Sergei Ivanov, the head of Putin's presidential office; the Czech delegation is led by Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka.
The Germans first imprisoned Polish and then Soviet prisoners of war in the camp before transforming it into an enormous death factory in which historians say at least 1.1 million people were murdered, Jews in particular. Auschwitz is one of the main symbols of the Holocaust.
Among those attending the commemoration today, according to the Polish media, are Rainer Höss, the grandson of the former camp commander Rudolf Höss, who was hanged at Auschwitz in April 1947 for his crimes. "I cannot change the past, I cannot turn the clock back because that is not possible, but I can do something for the future and remember what happened," Höss told Polish television.
The grandson of the former camp commander has been involved in various campaigns against Nazism and racism for years. In his youth he knew nothing about his grandfather's role in history.
- The forgotten Holocaust: Romani victims of the Holocaust and their place in the Czech past and present
- Czech Holocaust commemoration will appeal against anti-Semitism and extremism - Romani victims forgotten?
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture marks Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic: Demonstration at Terezín will demand Romani victims of Holocaust be honored
- Czech PM rejects Poland's alleged complaint about Holocaust event
- Čeněk Růžička: We demand review of the police procedure over Okamura's defamation of Romani Holocaust victims
- Czech Roma Holocaust victims and their relatives file criminal charges against MP
- Czech Republic: New Holocaust memorial in Brno
- Czech Republic: Commemorative ceremony for Romani Holocaust victims at Hodonín
- Ian Hancock: 500 000 Romani Holocaust victims? There could have been twice that.
- Interview with Romani American William Bila about the Roma Holocaust
- Commentary: Freedom of speech vs. Holocaust denial
- Czech Republic: More charges to be filed against MP for Roma Holocaust denial
- Czech MPs who ran on Okamura's candidate list now protesting his Romani Holocaust denial
- Civil society members of Czech Gov't Commission on Roma Community remind MP that Holocaust denial is criminal
- Czech Republic: Roma say MP has denied the Romani Holocaust and discredited the victims of Nazism
- Czech MP Okamura insults Romani victims of the Holocaust, media and politicians sharply criticize him
- Council of Europe: Handbook Launched on Remembrance Day of the Roma Holocaust
- Karski reported the Holocaust as it was underway, no one believed him at the time
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at the former Lety concentration camp attended by 200 people
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech lower house committee does not recommend stripping MP of immunity over denying the Holocaust of the Roma