VIDEO: World commemorates 70th anniversary of liberation of Auschwitz
Approximately 300 former prisoners and the representatives of 42 countries, including 12 Presidents, several crowned heads of state and half a dozen Prime Ministers are marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi extermination camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau by the Soviet Army with a gathering at what was once the "Gate of Death". The commemoration is being attended by French President François Hollande, German President Joachim Gauck, Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski and Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, while Russia (at odds with the Western world over the conflict in Ukraine) will be represented by Sergei Ivanov, the head of Putin's presidential office; the Czech delegation is led by Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka.
The Germans first imprisoned Polish and then Soviet prisoners of war in the camp before transforming it into an enormous death factory in which historians say at least 1.1 million people were murdered, Jews in particular. Auschwitz is one of the main symbols of the Holocaust.
Among those attending the commemoration today, according to the Polish media, are Rainer Höss, the grandson of the former camp commander Rudolf Höss, who was hanged at Auschwitz in April 1947 for his crimes. "I cannot change the past, I cannot turn the clock back because that is not possible, but I can do something for the future and remember what happened," Höss told Polish television.
The grandson of the former camp commander has been involved in various campaigns against Nazism and racism for years. In his youth he knew nothing about his grandfather's role in history.
- The forgotten Holocaust: Romani victims of the Holocaust and their place in the Czech past and present
- Czech Holocaust commemoration will appeal against anti-Semitism and extremism - Romani victims forgotten?
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture marks Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Republic: Demonstration at Terezín will demand Romani victims of Holocaust be honored
- Czech PM rejects Poland's alleged complaint about Holocaust event
- Čeněk Růžička: We demand review of the police procedure over Okamura's defamation of Romani Holocaust victims
- Czech Roma Holocaust victims and their relatives file criminal charges against MP
- Czech Republic: New Holocaust memorial in Brno
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity
- Dozens of heads of state and government honoring the memory of Holocaust victims at Auschwitz Memorial today
- Director of the Lidice Memorial in the Czech Republic has resigned
- Czech Govt Roma Council recommends analyzing interwar assets of Roma and Sinti confiscated during the war, a still-unresolved matter
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic