NGOs from four countries reject David Mezei's threats and vulgar attacks as endangering the investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
Individuals and nonprofit organizations involved with Romani issues have emphatically objected to the threats and vulgar attacks by David Mezei, who has been broadcasting his messages live through Facebook in the Czech Republic and threatening activists and staff members of nonprofit organizations. Those targeted by his aggression have been, for example, human rights activist Miroslav Brož, longtime human rights activist from the Romani community Jozef Miker, the ROMEA organization, and reporters for the Romea.cz news server.
"His behavior absolutely contravenes everything our organizations have long advocated, and we emphatically distance ourselves from his appearances and state that we want nothing whatsoever to do with him," said activists and nonprofit representatives in a declaration published in full translation below by news server Romea.cz.
Statement by nonprofit organizations about the current events associated with the death of Stanislav Tomáš
The nonprofit organizations signed below distance themselves from the activities of David Mezei in association with the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš.
Mezei is publicly, mainly through social media, attacking those who are actually working on this case with speech that is full of aggression, lies, threats and vulgarities.
His behavior absolutely contravenes everything our organizations have long advocated, and we emphatically distance ourselves from his appearances and state that we want nothing whatsoever to do with him.
His amateur interference with this case could lead to the death of Mr Tomáš never being fully investigated as we have been demanding from the beginning.
We very much regret the situation this has caused for the late Mr Tomáš’s sister, Simona Tomášová, who is facing enormous pressure. At the same time, we believe the correct decision will be made by her to accept assistance that is genuine and professional.
We consider it essential to object to the attacks and threats made against activists and staff of nonprofit organizations and against others who are expressing their views of the case and the behavior described above.
We reject all attacks and calls for violence that contribute to deteriorating the perception the public holds of the Romani minority in the Czech Republic.
• ROMEA, o. p. s.
• Konexe, z. s.
• Amnesty International Česká republika, z. s.
This statement is joined by the following organizations and individuals:
Romodrom, o. p. s.
Museum of Romani Culture
Čeněk Růžička for the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic
Alena Drbohlavová Gronzíková, community worker, IQ Roma servis
Gwendolyn Albert, human rights activist
RomanoNet, z. s.
ARA ART, z. s.
Romano jasnica, z. s.
Slovo 21, z. s.
IQ Roma servis, z. s.
Khamoro, o. p. s.
Awen Amenca, z. s.
Jan Husák, volunteer civil society member of the Czech Government Council for Romani Minority Affairs
RomaTrial e.V. (Germany)
Minority Initiative (Austria and Serbia)
Life Together (Vzájemné soužití, o. p. s.)
SPOLEČNĚ-JEKHETANE, o. p. s.
Kleja, z. s.
Unie olašských Romů, z. s.
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Czech attorney for the family of Stanislav Tomáš has requested a second autopsy - Romea.cz refutes disinformation being spread by Facebook LIVE broadcasters
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- ROMEA TV WILL BROADCAST LIVE 14:00 CET: Memorial gathering for Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Czech Constitutional Court rules against hatred on the Internet in case involving threats against children
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech region now has two local platforms hoping to connect pro-Roma and Roma organizations with local administrations and state institutions
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to woman who threatened to burn down police station in the aftermath of the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- MEPs compare death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic to that of George Floyd in the USA
- Case of Stanislav Tomáš discussed during plenary session of the European Parliament
- Czech activist on the investigation into the death of Stanislav Tomáš: Slowly but surely, it's moving forward, and it will be a marathon
- European Parliament will discuss police brutality against Romani people in EU, on the basis of Czech case
- Greece: Romani youth was holding his hands above his head when police shot him dead, according to eyewitness