Slovak Police say shooting incident not racially motivated, gunmen wanted sex and didn't get it
Slovak media are reporting that the shooting incident involving three men firing a submachine gun at the home of a Romani family in the Varguľa settlement in the town of Pohronská Polhora apparently had neither an extremist nor a racist subtext. According to the Banská Bystrica Regional Police Director, Štefan Šurek, the assailants were drunk and drove to the settlement because they wanted sex with local Romani women.
When the men failed to convince anybody to have sex with them, they began to fire their weapon. "If anybody has been speculating about any other motive, at this phase we have ruled out an extremist or racial motivation or subtext... It seems these guys were interested in sex with girls," the police director told the press on 12 October.
According to police, that version of events is supported by the fact that interrogations of approximately 80 eyewitnesses, including settlement residents, did not involve testimony about any of the shooters verbalizing threats against Romani people or abusing them in a racist, vulgar way. When the men fired a submachine gun from their car at the single-family home, the bullets passed through the wooden fence and one window of the house.
Nobody was physically harmed during the incident. The father of the family said that fortunately the children were already in bed at that time after supper.
- Slovakia: Five machine gun bullets fired into home of Romani family, suspects in custody
- Amnesty International: We demand justice for the victims of the Slovak Police raid on the Roma settlement of Moldava nad Bodvou
- Slovak Police charge four eyewitnesses to raid on Romani settlement with making false accusations
- Slovak President Kiska calls on voters to remove Fascists from office
- Czech court releases murder suspect from custody now that all witnesses to shooting of Romani man have been questioned
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Ukraine: Non-Romani politician charged with shooting one Romani man dead during pogrom and wounding four others
- Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Police confirm local officers did not proceed absolutely correctly in case of gunfire near Romani children's camp
- Czech Police investigating shots fired at Romani summer camp and local police procedure
- Ida Kelarová on warning shots fired near Roma children at music camp: The Czech Police refused to help us
- Doctor in Slovakia refuses treatment to Romani toddler because his mother was unvaccinated, he died shortly thereafter
- Slovak Government apologizes for anti-Jewish measures during WWII
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Romani runner in Slovakia whose junior career has been so hopeful confirms she is pregnant
- Analysis: Welfare abuse in the Czech Republic is minimal, but in the runup to elections, politicians talk tough about it
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Slovak Government apologizes to Romani community for brutal police raid in 2013
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for the Roma Community says biased media coverage of animal abuse could spark anti-Romani hatred
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent