Sweden: Iconic incident of woman swatting neo-Nazi with her purse was also captured on film
Hans Runesson was the photographer who captured the legendary image of a woman swatting at a neo-Nazi with her purse in the Swedish town of Växjö on 13 April 1985. In the photo, a 38-year-old woman uses her purse to hit a neo-Nazi who is marching during a demonstration by adherents of the "Nordic Realm Party".
Film footage of the incident has recently been posted to social media. The woman was named Danuta Dielsson and she was born in 1947.
Originally from Poland, she began living in Sweden after she married. Her mother had been imprisoned in the German concentration camp of Majdanek during the war.
Dielsson would eventually commit suicide in 1987. In the year 2015, a sculpture capturing her action was unveiled in the town where it happened.
The unveiling of the sculpture was rather controversial, because critics claimed it supported committing violence. Dielsson's family was also against her memory being immortalized in this spirit.
The image has become an icon of disagreement with neo-Nazism. Runesson's photograph won the Swedish Photograph of the Year award.
- Inspiration from Sweden could aid Czech Republic with combating disinformation
- Romani people adopted as children from Slovakia to Sweden 20 years ago revisit their native settlement
- Sweden: Pippi Longstocking gets a rewrite, this time as a Romani girl
- Czech online media spread disinformation about refugees in Sweden
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Sweden to compensate thousands of Roma after police illegally keep ethnic database on them
- Online HOAX alleges Swedish Christmas lights cancelled because of Muslim demand
- Sweden: History of the persecution of Roma in the Czech lands is published
- Sweden: Racism motivates fatal sword attack at a school
- Poles send Swedish neo-Nazi Högström home to prison for Auschwitz sign theft
- Sweden takes steps to document the maltreatment of Roma
- Sweden calls on EU to act on Roma rights
- Sweden: Romani people are deported without legal reason
- Swedish Minister: Romani women are doubly discriminated
- Czech coercive sterilization survivors go to Sweden
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks